Homemade Cant Hook?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
My neighbor and I have access to an area of very large downed trees. Some, we will have two saw part way through and then roll over to complete the cuts. It would be nice to have a big cant hook, aka log peavey, but not worth the expense to buy one.

Anybody make their own? I would think that a 2x4 with an attached chain and hook could work well.

I use a 4' digging bar to roll logs. It doesn't have the hook feature, but as long as I can get a good bite of earth under the log I can get plenty of leverage to roll some pretty large logs. (Also if you live in New England anyway, a digging bar is a MUST for digging any hole deeper than even a few inches.!)

I've had my Cant for a couple years. Unless you lose or stop cutting wood it will be around a long time.

A cant hook (I reccomend getting one with the removable "timber jack" stand on it) is NOT that expensive, especially when compared to the cost of your chainsaw and PPE (You are using PPE I hope...) The TMEN design looks to me like it might work, but I wouldn't count on it for strength - I've bent the handle on my Northern metal timber jack and it's made of heavier stuff than the TMEN design. At any rate I'd say that unless you own a welding shop it will probably be more time and hassle to build one than to just go buy one...

As mentioned, it's not a "consumable" if you don't loose it, you will have it for years...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.