1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Homemade Cant Hook?

Post in 'The Gear' started by WarmGuy, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarmGuy

WarmGuy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Far Northern Calif. Coast
    My neighbor and I have access to an area of very large downed trees. Some, we will have two saw part way through and then roll over to complete the cuts. It would be nice to have a big cant hook, aka log peavey, but not worth the expense to buy one.

Anybody make their own? I would think that a 2x4 with an attached chain and hook could work well.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jay H

Jay H New Member

Loc:
    NJ
  3. ChrisN

ChrisN Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern, Ct
    I use a 4' digging bar to roll logs. It doesn't have the hook feature, but as long as I can get a good bite of earth under the log I can get plenty of leverage to roll some pretty large logs. (Also if you live in New England anyway, a digging bar is a MUST for digging any hole deeper than even a few inches.!)
  4. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I've used mine a bunch so far in reducing my pile of logs.
  5. johnsopi

johnsopi Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MD near DE&PA;
    I've had my Cant for a couple years. Unless you lose or stop cutting wood it will be around a long time.
  6. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    A cant hook (I reccomend getting one with the removable "timber jack" stand on it) is NOT that expensive, especially when compared to the cost of your chainsaw and PPE (You are using PPE I hope...) The TMEN design looks to me like it might work, but I wouldn't count on it for strength - I've bent the handle on my Northern metal timber jack and it's made of heavier stuff than the TMEN design. At any rate I'd say that unless you own a welding shop it will probably be more time and hassle to build one than to just go buy one...

As mentioned, it's not a "consumable" if you don't loose it, you will have it for years...

Gooserider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.