Homemade firewood box...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfunk13

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2008
Wyoming
I finished my firewood box tonight. I think it turned out pretty cool. It holds about five or six of those canvas firewood carriers full.
The frame is steel tubing with cedar sides and 3/4" plywood bottom. The arrows and skull are made of iron.
Originally the skull was to cover the arrows, for some reason it just didnt look right, Too much going on there.
So i came up with something more simple for the arrows.

Attachments

• DSC02793.JPG
    DSC02793.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,096
  • DSC02797.JPG
    DSC02797.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,060
  • DSC02803.JPG
    DSC02803.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,065
  • DSC02812.JPG
    DSC02812.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,085
  • DSC02809.JPG
    DSC02809.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,085
Looks great! Nice job. It looks totally professional.

Now about that rug in front of the stove... Maybe time for a good hearth extension?

Yeah i know, we installed last month and haven't done the extension yet.
I realize how important it is and is my next project. I knew i would get busted!

The box is beautiful. So's the kid. They're both combustible. So's the rug. Make sure they're all adequately protected. Rick

ok, i get the point.
We have been using a piece of sheet metal (temp). Until i get the extension done.
We had company over for dinner and stored the beautiful sheet metal in the back room.
I bought the tile for the extension this weekend.
Brotherbart?

Wow that is a very nice looking firewood box! Super good job on it! ;-)

the box is looking nice. are you a professional woodworker? because if you arent i think you just motivated me to make one myself. if you are...well mine will probably come out like crap anyway :shut:

No not at all a professional.
I have done metal and woodworking for many years, but its really
pretty basic. If you leave off the cutouts, anyone can do it.
I might do something different with the center of the arrows.
Its hard to see in the pictures but the circle was heated red hot and pounded
with a ball peen hammer. I will give it a few days and see if it grows on me.

Thanks for the kind words,
Brad

You have talent. Sure your not a PIPE FITTER? :cheese: The wood box, the boy and that ugly stove looks awesome. ;-)
Had to say good buy to my two boys to-night as heading back farther up north for the week to work. Cheers. N of 60

Hey North, well i was a pipe welder for years.
I worked for a company in Phoenix that did all the iron for the AZ diamondbacks, coyotes and cardinals stadiums.
I enjoy the wrought iron work much better. I owned a small business doing this kind of stuff. But its much more fun when you dont have to try to make a profit.
My next project is a dining room table, steel frame with butcher block top.

(AFTER the extension of course) :smirk:

Brad

P.S. The uglier the better!

Well if you have welded pipe then I know you can weld in any position. Thats what makes a good welder. To keep a welder out of those positions is what makes a good pipe fitter. On retro-fit work it cant be helped. Nothing like the smell of 6010 rod on the first pass in the morning. Sounds like bacon and eggs once you break through and maintain that key hole working that 360Deg.
Bring back any memories for ya. ;-P Time for bed. Cheers N of 60.

You know your stuff!
I was always a better welder than a fitter.
Fitting is the tough part. Sure makes an easy day when you have a good pipe fitter.
Memories, yeah, nothing like wearing full welding gear in phoenix @ 121 degrees.
Oh yeah and melting steel on top of it. NO FUN!

bfunk, good to hear that you are on top of the hearth extension. That's going to be one sweet setup when it's done. Nice to read another happy BlazeKing report too.

InTheRockies said:
I agree, very good job! I especially like the iron work on it.

I'll second that..

Thanks alot guys!

Very nice indeed. I need to build something myself, but since I don't have any metal working experience, it'll have to be all out of wood.

Again, nice job!

Nice job . . . very sharp looking . . . makes my woodbox project look like something a five-year-old kid would build for his father on Father's Day. :) ;)

firefighterjake said:
Nice job . . . very sharp looking . . . makes my woodbox project look like something a five-year-old kid would build for his father on Father's Day. :) ;)

Not at all Jake, the box you did actually inspired me to do this one.
Your box is great looking and sturdy, should last many years.
I have the luxury to use my dads welding shop 24/7. I have always liked to combine wood and steel.
One problem is everything i make takes two men and a boy to move.
Thanks for the kind comments.

You guys both did terrific jobs. Both utilitarian and attractive in thier own right. Oh, and I appreciated the trip down memory lane reliving some of my years in the ship conversion and repair business. I grew to have the utmost admiration for good fitters & welders. Rick

firefighterjake said:

I can relate. As a kid I was apt to tell everybody how I could wield until I seen a few TIG masters at work. Now I regulate myself as a "Barnyard" grade wielder and carpenter.

Thanks guys.
Not to get off topic.
I recently finished this monster BBQ for a friend.
Also a couple of examples of the wooden signs i made years ago.

Attachments

• sh 037.jpg
    sh 037.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 677
  • sh 039.jpg
    sh 039.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 665
  • havanaa3.jpg
    havanaa3.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 645
  • horse2.jpg
    horse2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 657
Oh my goodness! I can't believe how nice that BBQ and those signs are! You are one very talented guy!

great work B-funk.

I stack my wood in an extra closet the I lined with thick plastic. Works well for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.