Homemade flu fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse-M

Sep 18, 2008
Columbia City, IN
Made a new flu fan, came from one of those blow up wet slides from Walmart. I use it for starting new fires, reloading, and cleaning ashes. Works great, those things put out a lot of cfm.....................just wanted to share...................Jesse

Attachments

• MVC-033S.jpg
    MVC-033S.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 441
  • MVC-034S.jpg
    MVC-034S.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 406
  • MVC-035S.jpg
    MVC-035S.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 427
I'd be a little scared with this kind of setup if it's in your house. Have you checked to see if you get any smoke/exhaust coming out of the fan when it's not running during a burn? My biggest concern here would be what happens if you have a clogged flue. You'll end up pushing your exhaust out through that fan. And you may not "see" it.

As long as your burner isn't in the house I suppose there really isn't too much risk. A good way to use what you have laying around.

It's 200' from the house in the boiler barn.............the blast gate seals very well,and with the angle of entry .....near impossible to get smoke/exhaust thru fan.

henfruit said:
what kind of boiler are you useing? greenwood or seton?

It is my homemade version of the Seton W-130. I did a lot of research before I built, and at that time the Seton and Greenwood were virtually identical. ( year½ ago )

how does it work for you? have you ever thought of adding induced air to the air intake to make the fire burn hotter?

No need for more air, it does real good at gasification and gets plenty hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.