Homemade manual wood splitter from the Ukraine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurent Cyr

Burning Hunk
Dec 14, 2012
Quebec, Canada
I Wonder how strong this really is? what do you think its equivalence is in tons?

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Laurent

Neat....looks great for smaller stuff. I'd love to do a cord of pine kindling up with it. Looks pretty safe, also. (Unless you are russian the job, of course.)

Last edited:
Those type work extremely well with easy splitting wood. A bit less for the harder splitting wood or wood with knots. They are great for making kindling.

Dennis, You would need an extra milk crate for that one. :)

Reactions: gyrfalcon
That Bed Spring packs a Punch.

Necessity is the mother of invention! What do ya think a 30 ton Husky splitter costs over there?

Last edited:
Reactions: gyrfalcon
When you search YouTube for videos on "firewood splitters" you come up with tons of videos showing contraptions and techniques ranging from the absurd to some that are pretty ingenious.

Holy balsa wood Batman. That stuff looks like it would split with a stern look and a quick finger point.

Reactions: tsquini and pen
I bet this is the sort of Northern climate where it's mostly softwood like that. I think that we all know he's not getting mechanical advantage out of this in terms of splitting power, only convenience and speed

Holy balsa wood Batman. That stuff looks like it would split with a stern look and a quick finger point.

My wife can do that!

Reactions: Jags
With two hands going all the time, what do you do with your beer?

KC

There is something going on with the wood. It is splitting too easy. The video at times skips like they cut out part of the video. I am suspect of this operation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
The spring isn't giving him any mechanical advantage. It's picking up his wedge for him. It's essentially an overgrown hatchet. The wood is also splitting like hot butter. I want to see him with elm. It's obviously working for his wood source though. The splits are short also... masonry heater maybe? A wood that light has to burn fast.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
With two hands going all the time, what do you do with your beer?

KC
Couple shots of vodka, and split for awhile. Couple shots, split some more ...

That video has been around for a while.

There are other videos with similar designed splitters run by different people, all using that mounted split head and spring system.

Interesting design, but they must be splitting some easy wood

He really heeds a nice big table for the second one so he could grab a few rounds at a time and not have to keep bending over so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.