Homemade Pellet Vac **MOD**

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortstuff

Feeling the Heat
Jun 5, 2008
Southeastern MA
Some of us have made and are using that $20.00 pellet vac that I posted some time ago (see the post here) and so far it's been working just great for me with a little exception that we had also discussed and that is that you cannot feed the pellets into this pellet vac too quickly or it will clog and stop.

Here is my fix and it works great!:

I got to thinking that it clogs because the flow of pellets cannot "breathe" so I took a short length of 1/2" copper pipe (you can use any material) and as you can see in the picture below, I have it taped inside my feed cup with the bottom end just about 1-1/2" down inside and centered in the 2" pvc pipe opening. The bottom moves freely as the pellets pass by the end of the pipe.

Now I can feed the pellets as fast as I can fill the feed cup and the pellets flow freely. This has cut my pellet vacuuming time about in half. For those who made this pellet vac, give it a try and post your results.

Happy heating!

Steve

Attachments

• PelletVac12_1200.jpg
    PelletVac12_1200.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 1,077
Kinda looks like a toilet eating a plunger, don't it?

Hi, I made that same vac and it works great. Luckily I've only had a couple of really dusty bags. Must have been from a different lot of pellets. I have 3 ton of Pennington's and the light colored ones have lots of fines and the darker ones have almost none. Hoping I got mostly dark ones.

If i ever have to vacuum my pellets then i will stop burning them. There is no way in hell i'm doing that!!!
My stove eats fines for breakfast and spits out small ash....

heehee that's funny,

woodsman23 said:
If i ever have to vacuum my pellets then i will stop burning them. There is no way in hell i'm doing that!!!
My stove eats fines for breakfast and spits out small ash....

Kinda the way I feel about it., My Rev don't even spit out any ash, just digests it all. No smoke, no sparks. Like they say, "If ya want it done right, gotta do it yourownself". (Well, maybe a LITTLE ASH).

Status
Not open for further replies.