1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Homemade Tarm/Econoburn?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by deerefanatic, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deerefanatic

deerefanatic Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ladysmith, WI
    HI all, just making an update here..... I've got this unit almost put together....... I need to get the last few firebrick installed in the secondary chamber and then pour the refractory floor for the primary chamber........ Then just finish the bypass dampers and air flow jackets, etc........

Will post pictures and more details later when the unit is operational......

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Nofossil

Nofossil Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    There haven't been many attempts at homemade gasifiers - good to see another one coming online. Definitely keep us posted.
  3. deerefanatic

Loc:
    Ladysmith, WI
    I can see why too!! They're definitely more than one figures on at first glance! :)

Definitely not something I want to do again, but also don't regret giving it a try!
  4. steam man

steam man Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    The ratings of any fan is based on having a certain back pressure. The size of the gas nozzles is going to ba a big part of the back pressure in order to convert pressure to velocity. My guess is the gas velocity needed is around the flame speed of wood gas. My gut feeling tells me that the size of the firebox, fan capacity and nozzle size are all in a happy balance. You'll probably end up experimenting with fan flow rate/nozzle size to get the correct velocity. A variable speed fan may be helpful for tweaking things. Though I like an induction fan for keeping smoke minimal when the door is open it has to deal with being in the hot exhaust pass whereas a forced draft fan will probably be cheaper to use. The output of your first gassifier is really high-I'd look at a fan with the capacity of what something like a Garn is using. You'll be tweaking for awhile. Hopefully you'll get it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Mike
  5. deerefanatic

Loc:
    Ladysmith, WI
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.