Homemade Wine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Neighbors grow their own grapes so I just help them. I made blackberry wine last year and it was passable. Making hard cider is much easier. We just bottled up a couple carboys full.

Yes I agree hard cider is very easy....wife is Portuguese and has an old family recipe we'd like to try. We have vineyard popping up around us so I have to think our soil will sustain grape vines. Just not sure what is involved in the care of the vines.

I made blackberry wine several years ago, that was drinkable and contained alcohol but that's about it. It was the kind of wine I'd break out after everybody was drunk already, and they'd tell me "that's not that bad" lol.

I woke up one night after having a party at the house to find purple fluid all over the kitchen. I thought somebody threw up, until I found one of my wine bottle had blown a cork with enough force to open the kitchen cabinet and shoot wine out about 10 feet across the room. I haven't tried to make any since.

I did on the other hand inspire my brother. He's made dandelion and strawberry wine (both of which are too sweet for me but turned out pretty good) and some grape wine using grapes grown from a family friend which was pretty good for a first attempt. He finally started his own grape vines this past spring, I'm really curious to see how they turn out!

I've been wanting to get into making wine for a long time - just never made the plunge, time & space & all that. Made beer while I was in school with so-so results, still have some of that gear. I think I might get myself started at a U-Vint place here that's been getting itself established - less muss & fuss & work while learning about it. Then maybe broaden my horizons. That would start with kit stuff - but once I made the step to doing it at home, I would be checking out using things I have around me like blueberries & maple syrup. Got an old rhubarb patch that could use some rejuventation too - can you make decent wine with that stuff? Thinking not since I don't think I've heard of it.

I mainly brew beer and now cider, but at times have dabbled with wine. I used to go to the NY Finger Lakes region to collect juice pressed for home winemakers and would ferment it with some limited success. I made elderberry wine once, and had many positive reviews, but processing all of those elderberries is very time consuming.

Wine is certainly easier than brewing, and you can make wine out of most fruits and berries, and even some vegetables. I have made rhubarb wine after trying a commercial variety I found in a wine store. Rhubarb makes a nice and light wine, slightly tart depending on how much rhubarb you use per gallon. The sweetness versus dryness is a function of how much sugar you add and the type of yeast you use. You need to use several pounds of rhubarb per gallon to get a decent flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.