Homeowner's Insurance and Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kt1i

Jun 18, 2008
Central MA
I'm wondering what the insurer's reaction is to a pellet stove installation. Will (or did) they raise rates?

My insurance company raised my yearly rate by $50.00
But considering I am going to save over $1000.00 with pellets, I think it was worth letting them know.

When I called my insurance company they said rates would raise $200.00 a year and I have never had any claims in the last 10 years. Thinking about looking around at different insurance companies and getting some quotes.

[quote author="terryjd98" date="1216277959"]When I called my insurance company they said rates would raise $200.00 a year and I have never had any claims in the last 10 years. Thinking about looking around at different insurance companies and getting some quotes

Good idea...they are ******** you....in my opinion.

Did you all wait till the stove was installed? I have Liberty Mutual, and they are a bit 'uptight' shall we say. I think it's best if we get it installed and inspected before we alert them...then I'm thinking we'll probably end up looking for a new carrier as well.

I have Erie Insurance and they didn't seem to care. They said as long as it wasn't a wood stove they would not increase my premium. They did ask if it was professionally installed (it was), so that may have gotten me out of filling out some paperwork.

I just checked with my ins. agent. My company Safety Ins. just requires a copy of the building (stove) permit on file, no extra charge! :)

I called my insurance co and they said as long as I get a permit and have it inspected by the city then they dont have a problem with it. My rate will not be increasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.