Homeowners insurance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuel

Jan 4, 2009
Nebraska
Just wondering how much burning wood affects your guys homeowners insuramce? Is it a lot higher or do u just have to pay a surcharge for a solid fuel heat source?

I bought my house with a Tarm wood burner in it, and when I called to ask about any loop holes on certifications or charges for replacing an existing wood heat unit (EKO) they said I can replace it and not worry because there was one in the house when they started the coverage plan..Dave

No difference for me in adding the insert since it went into an existing fireplace. The agent said they would have charged more if I had added a fireplace/flue but nothing for improving an existing one.

EDIT: Sorry for this. I just saw the question and responded without noting it was in the boiler room. You guys aren't interested in inserts......

I called State Farm and told them I had installed a dual fuel furnace in the house and they said "congratulations, have a nice day".
No extra charges.

I've been burning a Pacific Energy 27 (great stove) for 14 years and this fall installed an EKO40 system.

I built a room (for the boiler and tanks) onto the back of my garage which is physically connected to my house via. a breeazeway.

Since I am already paying a $150.00 annual woodburning surcharge for the PE 27, he siad that there is no additional charge for the EKO system.

BC

Northwoodsman said:
Since I am already paying a $150.00 annual woodburning surcharge for the PE 27, he siad that there is no additional charge for the EKO system.

Geez-that's highway robbery if you ask me. My homeowner's simply told me that as long as the building inspector approves its ok with them. Why should a properly installed woodstove be considered any riskier than a properly installed oil burner or gas furnace?

My premiums went up by like $40 per year. No big deal. My insurance agent was also going to come out and take photos of the install, but he has yet to show up.

State Farm agent said, "Contractor installed? No problem. If you install it, we'll want our guy to come out and check it. It's only to protect you, and us, from "rookie mistakes"." He expanded by saying most of the fires caused by wood burners are installation related, and if they can head off a problem they want to. If the install isn't up to code, they would exclude damages from any incident until it was brought up to code. No rate increase, no fire, no insurance coverage for a fire.

Tough enough...

It varies a lot with insurance company and location.

they legitimately may want to know that you're not burning trash in a barrel stove on top of shag carpet with a stovepipe stuck out through the sidewall...

that said, if they say it is OK, get it in writing, or send them a letter saying "thank you for confirming, as you explained on the phone, XYZ"

the people that sell policies or answer questions are not the same ones who handle claims.

the incentives between the two sub-parts of the insurance industry are entirely different

Especially at a certain company that, even within the insurance field, has sometimes, I am told, been referred to as Snake Farm. I've only been told that by people whose names I can't remember, although they , if I recall, were highly familiar with the insurance trade, and am not even remotely expressing it as an opinion, let alone a claim of fact that could get me in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.