Homestead heritage – Hearth Pad Construction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chad101

Sep 9, 2009
Erie, MI
After collaborating w/ allot of people on this forum and talking to customer service @ Woodstock. I ended up buying a heritage stove.

I bought a 4'x 4' "stove pad" ($400). But, the dealer will not order it until Monday.

I'm thinking about building my own hearth pad to save money. I have a 40 (4"x 8"x 16") concrete blocks. This is more than enough for a 5'x 5' hearth pad. Menards has a sale on natural stone tile (granite & marble tiles). I was thinking about laying tile over the blocks and wonder if this combination would be sufficient in R value.

Attachments

• 105_2015.jpg
    105_2015.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 395
I doubt it. Concrete doesn't have much R-value at all and the heritage has a high R-value requirement. The owner's manual will give you the R-value of some common building materials and if you're lucky, you can find some micore which could be included in your pad and eliminate the need for other special R-value consideration. The durock and tile will finish the job in that case. I couldn't fine micore so I used the "dead air apce" as specified in the owner's manual to provide the bulk of the required R-value.

Status
Not open for further replies.