Honey locust score... Love my neighbors!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nice score! I just got a few trailer loads of black locust, I am told it will just about melt my stove if I don't mix the wood with other stuff. I also have a few loads of Walnut, that is a really nice smelling wood also.
I love my 590, it starts easy and is a great saw. you might want to look into the threads about opening up the muffler and retuning the saw. Echo isn't monkeying around with electronics or fancy extras, but this causes them to sell saws that are choked down and tuned lean from the factory.

Thanks for the 590 tip, I'll have to look into that. As for the black locust burning too hot..... I've also heard that but have not found it to be the case. I have had to mix softer woods in with the black locust in order to get it to burn well. The wood is so dense and burns for a long time, it just helps to mix in a faster burning wood to ensure the BL burns more effectively (unless you already have a really hot raging bed of coals going).

So from my experience, BL is more long lasting than anything. I don't know why people claim it will "melt the stove".... I'd be more concerned about a raging pine fire than some BL.

Reactions: rowerwet
Status
Not open for further replies.