Honey Locust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
I was talking with a friend last night and he said that Honey Locust stinks when you burn it. I've never burned it so I have no idea, what says the experts?

fv

I'm no expert but it don't stink, probably be the hottest burning wood you ever put in your stove. :zip:

It dont stink.Havent burned any for 2-3 yrs now (last time I cut some) but never had any problems with it.Other than its granite-like hardness & sometimes gnarly/twisted/spiral grain. :coolgrin: Well worth it though,one of the best woods you can get,equal to any Hickory,not far behind Black Locust & Osage Orange/Hedge.Makes beautiful cabinets,other smaller furniture & turned bowls when found in large enough sizes too.

fireview2788 said:
I was talking with a friend last night and he said that Honey Locust stinks when you burn it. I've never burned it so I have no idea, what says the experts?

fv

It stinks when sawed and split too

Stink is also a matter of opinion. Lots of folks on this forum hate the smell of freshly cut and split oak while I happen to enjoy it. Sassafras to me is the absolute best. There are only a few that I do not like the smell of.

Are you sure he wasn't talking about Black Locust? BL tends to have a reputation as being stinky when burned. And many people often confused Black Locust with Honey Locust.

He said Honey Locust because we were talking about a stack of free wood he was going to grab.

fv

Locust does not smell good when you burn it, but then again isn't your door closed on your stove? I never smell it until I open the door. It is well worth the stink, I will take all you do not want.

+25 on sassafras smells like cinnamon when split, altough I was told it was an apple tree. Have a cord and half of honeylocust have yet to burn any.

Like golfandwoodnut says, you really shouldn't be smelling the wood you burn in your wood stove. Maybe your neighbors downwind won't like the smell, but who is such a good neighbor that they would pass up Honey Locust because the neighbor might not like the smell?

[quote author="Wood Duck" date="1308103541"]Like golfandwoodnut says, you really shouldn't be smelling the wood you burn in your wood stove. Maybe your neighbors downwind won't like the smell, but who is such a good neighbor that they would pass up Honey Locust because the neighbor might not like the smell?[/quote]

My neighbor stinks, so karma works well for me.

Backwoods Savage said:
Stink is also a matter of opinion. Lots of folks on this forum hate the smell of freshly cut and split oak while I happen to enjoy it. Sassafras to me is the absolute best. There are only a few that I do not like the smell of.

Sassafras?? NO WAY !!!! The best is by far Black Birch. My processing area smelled, at times still does smell,l like a keg of birch beer exploded.

Shawn

Stink, smell good, sounds like wind chimes, picks on radio stations when held in your mouth...that's all ok.

What I'm curious about, after looking at some pictures is HOW DO YOU PROCESS THIS THORNY WOOD!!!!????????

Really, the pictures I've seen makes me think you'd need to go to the ER for some blood after working with this stuff?

It seems just bucking would be dangerous but then handling the rounds would be even more dangerous. Do you simply knock the thorns off the bark? Wear kevlar socks, iron underwear????

Ed

What thorns??

Attachments

• SDC10209.jpg
    SDC10209.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 354
  • SDC10210.jpg
    SDC10210.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 332
shawneyboy said:
Sassafras?? NO WAY !!!! The best is by far Black Birch. My processing area smelled, at times still does smell,l like a keg of birch beer exploded.

Roger that about black birch. Ever notice how a pile of fresh-cut black birch attracts bees & wasps? Oil of Wintergreen is made from the bark.

About one's neighbor having a problem with smell of burning any wood:
1. Make sure you have established secondary combustion, with firebox up to temps.
2. Neighbor's doors & windows will be CLOSED in burning season, with neighbor inside.
3, Complainants are obviously cranks.

Toss another log on the fire.

A farmer I work with says he just drags the logs around behind the tractor for a while and it tears the thorns off. Sure sounds like alot of flat tires to me.

shawneyboy said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Shawn

Well, if one really loves the beer it is hard to beat. I'll still take the sassafras but then , we don't have any black birch in our area.

Status
Not open for further replies.