Honeywell Zone Valve V8043 E 1012... are these any good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat53

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2010
UP Mich
Anyone have an opinion on these zone valves?

thx, Pat

Hello

In my opinion, zone valves are not as good as using separate circulators, Relays and sweat check valves.

Below is a picture of the Taco 007 circulators, I have been using for over 25 years without ever having a problem!!

So good luck with zone valves!

P.S. The new outdoor reset controller (Tekmar 260) has a DHW priority feature that pops an error if trying to use zone valves because that feature only works with circulators.

Attachments

• 180Taco007circulatorsSC.jpg
    180Taco007circulatorsSC.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 269
Now For a different opinion:
The Honeywell zone valves are fine, some people say they have a high failure rate, but I recently replaced some that were 25 years old, and still working.
energy consuption will be higher running multiple circulators , and you can usually run multiple zones with one circulator for less money initially as well as to operate.
We use Wilo Stratos circulators, Grundfoss Alpha is similar. I have 1 Wilo Startos running 7 zones of radiant in my home ( 7 Honeywell zone valves) priority to the HW, and a seperate circulator for my low temp slab radiant.
They're 2 schools of thought, you need to decide which is for you.

Chris S said:
Now For a different opinion:
The Honeywell zone valves are fine, some people say they have a high failure rate, but I recently replaced some that were 25 years old, and still working.
energy consuption will be higher running multiple circulators , and you can usually run multiple zones with one circulator for less money initially as well as to operate.
We use Wilo Stratos circulators, Grundfoss Alpha is similar. I have 1 Wilo Startos running 7 zones of radiant in my home ( 7 Honeywell zone valves) priority to the HW, and a seperate circulator for my low temp slab radiant.
They're 2 schools of thought, you need to decide which is for you.

Thats what I'm getting at. I plan on replacing 4 circulators with zone valves, and then using 2 Grundfos pumps, 1 Alpha and 1 variables speed. I plan on running the 2 baseboard zones with the Alpha, and one radiant and my indirect HW on the variable speed pump. The Honeywells are cheaper than the Taco zone valves, I was just wondering if they held up as well.

thx, Pat

I have built a dozen plus distribution panels and depending on situation I use zone valves or pumps. Always Honeywell valves because of easy replacement access. Never had any failures. I use taco pumps for same reason with similar results. My thoughts are use zone valves for low GPM flow rates [in-floor type stuff] with a single pump. I will use pumps for larger systems for prim/sec which end up being connected to the terminal equipment. some times it's easier or cheaper to wire up all this stuff with one approach or the other. my personal system has 3 zone valves and about 18 pumps, guess I lean toward pumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.