Hookaroon helps when splitting vertically

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I really like the hookaroon with the 28" handle.
Not only does it enable you to reach for splits to load them in the wheelbarrow, but when splitting vertically it helps in a couple of ways. It helps stage the rounds, so you don't have to bend down as much when rolling them to the splitter. Then, when you're sitting down splitting, you don't have to get up as much because you can just reach out and roll another one up. It also helps dragging the rounds down from the stack (yes, I know) so you don't get your feet involved in the falling/rolling round.

I have one with an even longer handle and it's a great tool when unloading a full size pick up truck on your own. I was thinking it would be handy for vertical spitting too, guess I was right.

velvetfoot said:
Even though it's blunter than a pickaroon, still have to watch your shins, for sure!

Please explain the difference between a hookaroon and a pickaroon. Do they have different purposes?

Thanks!

Sure, you can pick up wood, esp. splits, with it. If I'm loading a wheelbarrow with splits, I can make my reach much greater with this. Plus, although less efficient, if I'm picking up splits from the ground I don't have to bend over.

velvetfoot said:
Sure, you can pick up wood, esp. splits, with it. If I'm loading a wheelbarrow with splits, I can make my reach much greater with this. Plus, although less efficient, if I'm picking up splits from the ground I don't have to bend over.

It just doesn't seem like that little barb could support much weight without pulling out of the wood. It can't penetrate very far into the wood.

I believe a pickaroon and hookaroon is really the same thing. Yes, they can be handy.

No.
This is the one that I got.
http://labonville.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=432&idcategory=134
It has a replaceable tip that has a hook on it.

173l.jpg

I think mine must be a pickaroon. If I stab it too hard it doesn't want to let go. I guess I could carry wood with it. I got a 4' handle on mine so I could reach far into the bed and drag wood out. Limits the amount of times I need to hop up there since I do solo unloading 90+% of the time.

muncybob said:
I think mine must be a pickaroon. If I stab it too hard it doesn't want to let go. I guess I could carry wood with it. I got a 4' handle on mine so I could reach far into the bed and drag wood out. Limits the amount of times I need to hop up there since I do solo unloading 90+% of the time.

That is exactly what I have been needing.
by the end of the day one more climb into the bed of the truck takes a ton of effort.

mecreature said:
muncybob said:

That is exactly what I have been needing.
by the end of the day one more climb into the bed of the truck takes a ton of effort.

You owe it to yourself to get one, this is my 1st year with it and it has saved me a lot of effort!! I only need to hop into the bed once per load now.

logrite website has 24, 30, 36, 48 hookaroons

Great advice, I never new what these tools where I have seen them at sales before and did not know what they where. Man I have to get one of these what a helper. We burned wood as a kid and we did not have this tool it sure would of been a big help.

OhioBurner© said:
Been meaning to get one of these hookeroons/pickeroons for a while http://peaveymfg.com/products-logging-tools-pickeroons to help unload the truck... I'm thinking 36-48" would get most of the way in the bed, much longer than 4' might be a bit akward.

I'm a fan of Logrite, have thier 60" cant hook, and noticed they also have a Hookeroon http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=HR+030&catID;= but it only comes in 30". More money and shorter, but it does have replacable picks.

I bought the Katahdin in 36" from Peavey and it is too short to unload a full size truck bed, especially if you have to reach across the open tailgate. 36" is great for everything else mentioned above. It is my favorite tool to take with me when I cut. It cuts out an enormous amount of bending, saves my gloves and keeps my hands dry when working in snow. It is sharp enough that I can use it to lift rounds onto the truck if I want to, only it is hard to get it out of the round if it is in deep enough to lift it. Next I am going to order a much longer one just for unloading the truck. They offer up to 60" handles, and I'll bet that if you asked, they'd make one even longer for you. The folks at Peavey are great on the phone, and they ship quickly too. A nice made in USA outfit.

Oh yeah hookeroon and pickeroon are the same thing. There are just several different styles. Pulp hooks are handy too, but the longer handle works better for me.

punchy said:
logrite website has 24, 30, 36, 48 hookaroons
Thanks for the heads up... I went to their website and couldnt find the hookaroons at all, thats why I linked baileys, who seems to only have the one size.

I wonder how the weight compares between the logrite aluminum handles and peavey wood handles.

Flatbedford said:
I bought the Katahdin in 36" from Peavey and it is too short to unload a full size truck bed, especially if you have to reach across the open tailgate. 36" is great for everything else mentioned above. It is my favorite tool to take with me when I cut. It cuts out an enormous amount of bending, saves my gloves and keeps my hands dry when working in snow. It is sharp enough that I can use it to lift rounds onto the truck if I want to, only it is hard to get it out of the round if it is in deep enough to lift it. Next I am going to order a much longer one just for unloading the truck. They offer up to 60" handles, and I'll bet that if you asked, they'd make one even longer for you. The folks at Peavey are great on the phone, and they ship quickly too. A nice made in USA outfit.

Glad to here yours is helping you out. I wasnt really planning on being able to unload the whole truck with the hookaroon, but maybe get it all except for the last row or two. If I just have to get up once to knock over the last bit into reach, I'll be happy. I'll have to try to measure with the tailgate down and my reach, how far will get me most of the way back. I'd probably only be using for unloading the truck, maybe moving rounds around on the ground some. For lifting rounds I have a set of lifting tongs http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=ORF 536321&catID=162 and yeah I did write the review thats on there.

Some of my buddies kind of make fun of me for all the gear I have, be it the safety helmet or cant hook, etc. But for us who heat with wood more or less exclusively, spending just a little on some good equipment can save a lot of grief over the years, and some gear will even pay for itself.

A machete works well for picking up rounds, splits or limbs without bending over. use the unhoned rear top corner. Better than a hatchet for splitting kindling too; start it into the wood near the handle, a fantastic all around woods tool.

Ehouse

Status
Not open for further replies.