Hooking up a 24v electronic t-stat on a pellet stove w/ a t-stat hookup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rickwai

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
ohio
Here is a simple diagram of how to hook up a regular tstat on your stove. I mounted this in a 6x6 plastic junction box. relay is available thru any heating suppy or appliance repair place. transformer is available thru lowes or you can but stuff online. On EBAY type in "SPDT 24V RELAY". Hope this helps somebody. This setup isolates the 24v and 120v from the stove tstat circuit.

Attachments

• diagram.JPG
    diagram.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 963
Reactions: tlc1976
Great idea. I was thinking of something similar if we were ever to hook up a programmable thermostat to ours. About how much did each of the parts cost you?

not much. relay is about $5.00 on ebay transformer at Lowes is around $15-20 I think + plastic box and wire. Less than $50
I built mine a few years ago and kind of forgot I had been using it. When someone posted about the Nest t-stat u can control w/ Iphone it reminded me of it.

OK, I give up! Why are you doing that when all your pellet stove wants to see is an open/close contact which a $25 RiteTemp programmable thermostat can give you?

OK, I give up! Why are you doing that when all your pellet stove wants to see is an open/close contact which a $25 RiteTemp programmable thermostat can give you?

X2, I use a Lowe's LTX1500u millivolt T-Stat with "swing setting" made for wood pellet stoves. This digital T-Stat is programmable or can be set to full manual mode with just a 2 wire connection.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_24971-37422-LTX1500U-006_0__?productId=3382134&Ntt=lux thermostat&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=lux+thermostat&facetInfo=

Nest Bro

Nest Bro
Yea, but he says a 'regular thermostat', not an internet capable one. I see nothing there to allow this regular thermostat to learn how you like your schedule or know when you are away.

Yeah... $25-$75 gets it done and no special tools.

I commend you for doing so. Maybe someone out there really has to use this type of stat.

But I have a $75 Touch screen Hunter an,d a 3301 Skytech (remote/$130).

I found that the OP has another thread where he DOES talk about Nest thermostats so I see where he was coming from. He just should have stayed in that thread rather than confuse all us old farts who are retired or retarded and don't need no stinking $250 dongle dangle to turn our stove on from our Beemer or John Deere, whichever the case may be. :)

Reactions: DexterDay
I made this setup on my first stove several years ago. At that time that was the only way i could get the tstat thst i had to work. Since i have learned that u can digital stats that r battery operated w/ dry contacts. If the stat you desire to use needs 24v this setup will work

Status
Not open for further replies.