Hooking up a Cold air return to my Clayton 1600M

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwbren

Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I am also new to heating with wood. I have purchased a 1600M Clayton wood furnace to stand next to my propane furnace (which is much too expensive!). Anyway, I know how I can hook up the supply and chimney venting, but the manual doesn't really show how I can hook up a cold air return to the furnace. It talks about how important having the return air is, but doesn't give me a picture of how to hook it up. Does the air duct just need to be sitting next to the furnace on the floor? Thank you, David

rwbren said:
I like the idea of the prefabricated box, but does that unit connect to the furnace or just sit next to it?

Did you ever find out?
I am going to buy a Clayton 1600 as soon as it goes on sale at our Fleet Farm here in town . I'll save 400 buck if i wait. It is to late to plan on doing anything with the unit now if I did buy it. I don't have any seasoned wood. so Iam planning to start burning until next november. That way I can have all my research done, bought all my materials on sale and have a good 6 months of seasoning on a 12 cord load of wood and have that unit piped into my central heating ducts.

I got 3000sq.ft and freezeing at 68F. This is my last winter ofpaying the nat. gas co. an arm and a leg to freeze...

I am glad I found this Forum, Man there is a lot of info in these pages

Thanks guys

You do not want to just drag cold air from the floor.You will take the available air for burning.
You should hook the cold air to a metal box that connects to the furnace.

Hey CTZR1...I understand freezing but don't be too much of a hurry in your choice.
there are several way more efficient furnaces out there.Longer lasting too.
Charmaster,WoodChuck and of coarse our line Yukon.
5 things to look for.
1...reburn
2...dense firebricks
3...heat exchange surface area
4...barometric draft regulator
5...thermostat to regulate the burn or cycle the burn

Claytons just burn wood and a lot of it with short burn times from my expierence.

Status
Not open for further replies.