hooking up a pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhadlock975

Dec 24, 2014
menomonie wi
I am trying to decide if i need to buy one or two stoves here is my situation
A 1950 rambler style home. One evening car garage and basment or one level second leveal is home. There was no duct work done in the house it had eletric baseboard and small built in electric wall units very costly. We want to put a pellet stove in the basement but sre concerned about it not being enough to heat the upstairs. We thought about running duct work up stairs would that be sufficient ot should we place a second unit upstairs
it would be relatively easy to run duct work in the basement. I.e to the main living areas any input is greatly aprciated we don't want to put ina gas furnace if we can make this idea efficient enough

If your going to run ducting why not get multifuel furnace? You never stated how many square foot of home trying to heat. Other option is to get two nice used stoves too. Seems used market is a bit soft because conventional heating fuel is lower right now and the warm December.

Reactions: F4jock
Ductwork with a stove is not the best way to distribute heat. Look at some previous threads regarding this. If you want house-wide heat get a pellet furnace instead of two stoves and then ductwork will be more efficient.

Last edited:
I tried reading that post 3 times and still don't comprehend.....

I tried reading that post 3 times and still don't comprehend.....

+1 on contradictions.

In as much as the OP is in Wisconsin, if it was me, I'd get a multifuel central furnace and run ductwork. Pellet only, no way. Diversify and go multifuel. Corn is readily available in Wisconsin, why shoot yourself in the foot and limit your options.

Reactions: rona
+1 on contradictions.

In as much as the OP is in Wisconsin, if it was me, I'd get a multifuel central furnace and run ductwork. Pellet only, no way. Diversify and go multifuel. Corn is readily available in Wisconsin, why shoot yourself in the foot and limit your options.
Too much eggnog?

Ah, no. Coffee this morning. Community Roast to be exact and a couple Oreo Double Stuff's.

Attempting to release the Detroit style pizza with anchovies I had last night.... I believe I have to sign off for a bit...... Time for a sabbatical.

Reactions: Skier76
Ah, no. Coffee this morning. Community Roast to be exact and a couple Oreo Double Stuff's.
Flip, I think F4jock was referring to OP ........... I DO agree, multifuel furnace, or 2 freestanding multifuel stoves ......

A single stove and judicious use of supplemental electric heat will save you a ton of money. The cost of our electric heat skyrocketed this year, forcing me to do something different. I installed one stove this year, and I'm also installing these programmable thermostats which help me keep difficult-to-reach areas warm (notably the upstairs bathroom) without breaking the bank. So far, it's working out even better than I'd hoped. Last December's electric bill was just under $700. This December's bill will be less than $350, and that's with a 47% increase in the supply rate.

How big is the house? Do you use the basement? Most 1950 ramblers I've been in had all needed rooms on the main floor.

I am trying to decide if i need to buy one or two stoves here is my situation
A 1950 rambler style home. One evening car garage and basment or one level second leveal is home. There was no duct work done in the house it had eletric baseboard and small built in electric wall units very costly. We want to put a pellet stove in the basement but sre concerned about it not being enough to heat the upstairs. We thought about running duct work up stairs would that be sufficient ot should we place a second unit upstairs
it would be relatively easy to run duct work in the basement. I.e to the main living areas any input is greatly aprciated we don't want to put ina gas furnace if we can make this idea efficient enough
Ductwork is not a small retrofit. I might ask over in the Boiler forum about pellet boilers. Running a piece of PEX tubing is easier than ductwork, and you can replace those electric baseboards with hydro baseboards, and no one will be the wiser. Of course, the decision will come down to your specific layout.

Reactions: F4jock
Ductwork is not a small retrofit. I might ask over in the Boiler forum about pellet boilers. Running a piece of PEX tubing is easier than ductwork, and you can replace those electric baseboards with hydro baseboards, and no one will be the wiser. Of course, the decision will come down to your specific layout.
Good idea! Better heat distribution and no ugly ducts.

Status
Not open for further replies.