1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Hooking up the Quadrafire 7100 and heat zone kit

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ymurf, Jan 5, 2013.

1. humpin iron

humpin iron Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeast
    Sorry I am late to the party and am going to be a wet blanket but.........I have installed approx 50 7100's. Your install has many issues, 1) can NOT use mylar duct for OAK to chimney, must be metal. 2) MUST-MUST-MUST use full B-vent for heat zone kit. In testing at 20+ feet away the duct got over 220 degrees, that lead to the requirement of B-vent. 3) Heat zone kit is fan dependant, if you didn't get the fan kit then you didn't get the full heat zone kit, duct work CAN NOT go down, if you lose power and run the stove the duct will overheat and cause a fire, this problem is make far worse if you did not use full b-vent. Please go back and restudy the duct design in the LATEST install manual for a 7100. All duct work must be horizontal or up, never down! 4) The octogon elec box on the back wall must be moved, it is illegal to bury any elec box that can not be accessed. 5) All of that b-vent must have 1" of clearance to combustables. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Please restudy the install manual.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ymurf

ymurf Member

Loc:
    Missouri
    So I need to get the metal flex for the cold air on the chimney?
    Was wondering if I could run metal flex on the turn to go down.Seen others on here do it.So I should buy B-Vent elbows?
    On the heat zone manual I downloaded they show ways to run the duct and they have a picture of a duct going down to a lower level? Is this not right? Here is the link.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...DMESt8kpTGkk2-3gPzIdcYw&bvm=bv.41248874,d.aWM
  3. ymurf

ymurf Member

Loc:
    Missouri
    Anyone check the link with the heat zone manual? Looks like a duct going downstairs. If this is dangerous I will remove the heat zone kit.
  4. Village Idiot

Village Idiot Burning Hunk

Loc:
    No. Va.
    It looks like you have found another inconsistency in the Quadra-Fire 7100 documentation. You found an issue with the instructions for the OAK (http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/questions-for-quadrafire-7100-owners.101715/#post-1311632).

At this point, I would suggest reaching out to the manufacturer for the definitive answer on how to run the heat zone ducting. Do what they say and have the confidence that your install is correct. Go out on your own and you are on your own.

Other than that one image you show (found in both the heat zone manual and the 7100 install manual), I cannot find any others that show them running down. Here are screen grabs from the Quadra-Fire 710 promotional brochures. The newer one shows just the heat zone ducts. Neither show running the heat zone ducting to a lower level. The blue ducting in the older image is the cold air return (B1, B2) and the OAK (D).

Screen Shot 2013-01-20 at 8.39.58 AM.png Screen Shot 2013-01-20 at 8.40.26 AM.png
  5. ymurf

ymurf Member

Loc:
    Missouri
    Who would I contact for a final answer on this? Hearth and home?
  6. ymurf

ymurf Member

Loc:
    Missouri
    I sent Hearth and Home an e-mail on this question. Ill let you know what they say if I hear back.
  7. ymurf

ymurf Member

Loc:
    Missouri
    I got an e-mail back from hearth and home.Looks like it is fine to run a heat zone kit down.Here is what they e-mailed me.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Because we want your appliance to be installed safely and according to the
    correct installation specifications, local and national codes, we recommend
    that you work with your local dealer. Addressing very specific dimensions
    and clearance requirements can be difficult by phone and email.

Yes, you may run your HEAT-ZONE-WOOD down.

Your local dealer can best meet your needs based on your specifications and
    home. We ask that your dealer contact us if further assistance is needed.

For assistance finding a local dealer click on link below:

United States & Canada:

Harman: http://www.harmanstoves.com/wheretobuy.asp

Heatilator: http://www.heatilator.com/dealerLocator/USCanada.asp

Heat & Glo: http://www.heatnglo.com

Quadra-Fire:Internal Code: CSDL