Hooking up Thermostat to St Croix Hastings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While cleaning the St. Croix today, it dawned on me I didn't need to take the back off the stove, just the side covers. After much poking and proding in the rat's nest of wires, I found two unattached ends. Unfortunately, they are both with white wires. Does it matter which wire I attach to the terminal block ends? Is it just do one then the other or will I blow something that way?
Wiresforthermostat_zpsb58f6c56.jpg

The polarity does not matter.

Reactions: heat seeker
Great - thanks a lot Tim! I did hook them up to the terminal block before putting the stove back together and lighting her up, but didn't want to experiment with hooking up the thermostat until I was sure I wasn't going to fry something.

I give up, on placing the stove on a thermostat. I hooked it up, no nothing, just idles when I put it in T-stat mode. Tried touching the wires, same thing. It just wasn't meant to be I guess.

Want to thank everyone who tried to help me!

It sounds like a problem on the control board.

Now that you have the wires connected to the terminals, try shorting the two terminals together to simulate the 'stat calling for heat.

Now that you have the wires connected to the terminals, try shorting the two terminals together to simulate the 'stat calling for heat.
She did. She says nothing happens.

It sounds like a problem on the control board.

Last night I finally got brave and tore apart the controller. Looked and the wires were connected (thankfully same color wires al the way thru so I knew which ones they were. Decided to pull on them to check for tightness and one of them just slid right out without any resistance. the other was secured tightly. Fortunately I have jeweler's screw drivers, so was able to back off the retaining screw, slide the wire in, and tighten the screw back down. tested the wires and they were both secure.

Fired that puppy up and after it got going I set it to T-stat mode with thermostat off. Went to idle like it should. Then turned up the thermostat. SUCCESS! I then put it on Smartstat and let it go overnight. It was idling this morning and the house was a bit too warm, so I turned down the 'stat. After a while, the stove shut itself down. Left it "on" this morning when I left for work. Should fire a couple times today, but not eat too many pellets. Now that I have gotten it to work, I gotta figure out where to place the thermostat (and may get a wireless - time will tell)

So let's recap: First issue was the wires weren't hooked up to the terminal block (didn't look like they ever had been) so I had to fish them out of the stove innards. Then when I hooked them up, I managed to insert the connections between the plug and the plastic covering - for both wires (discovered that last weekend and fixed it - heartbroken when that didn't get me thermostat control). Then, a wire wasn't hooked up in the control panel.

Thanks Tim and Heat Seeker for the advice throughout the ordeal!

Last night I finally got brave and tore apart the controller. Looked and the wires were connected (thankfully same color wires al the way thru so I knew which ones they were. Decided to pull on them to check for tightness and one of them just slid right out without any resistance. the other was secured tightly. Fortunately I have jeweler's screw drivers, so was able to back off the retaining screw, slide the wire in, and tighten the screw back down. tested the wires and they were both secure.

Fired that puppy up and after it got going I set it to T-stat mode with thermostat off. Went to idle like it should. Then turned up the thermostat. SUCCESS! I then put it on Smartstat and let it go overnight. It was idling this morning and the house was a bit too warm, so I turned down the 'stat. After a while, the stove shut itself down. Left it "on" this morning when I left for work. Should fire a couple times today, but not eat too many pellets. Now that I have gotten it to work, I gotta figure out where to place the thermostat (and may get a wireless - time will tell)

So let's recap: First issue was the wires weren't hooked up to the terminal block (didn't look like they ever had been) so I had to fish them out of the stove innards. Then when I hooked them up, I managed to insert the connections between the plug and the plastic covering - for both wires (discovered that last weekend and fixed it - heartbroken when that didn't get me thermostat control). Then, a wire wasn't hooked up in the control panel.

Thanks Tim and Heat Seeker for the advice throughout the ordeal!
Alls well that ends well.

Reactions: bogieb
Status
Not open for further replies.