Hoooooo It's Chilly!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RomanW

Its been a coooold one this week. -38 4 days in a row. "Feels like -48" they're saying... Regardless, all I know is the stove aint happy about it hahaha.

Been taking a bit longer to get up to temp and have some usable heat. It doesn't draw as well either which is interesting. I read somewhere that cold weather outside is supposed to help with draw...? Not me! LOL

You just have to keep it hot. And full. It's got a lot to do with the wood. Nearly everything, in fact.

our legend is having no problem. The 10 hour shoulder season burns have become 3-6 hours, depending on the wood load. Aspen, pine, tamarack mostly very dry but not always. The firescreen is handy for burning down the coals and extracting the most heat out of them into the house. Sometimes the stoves door is wide open at the end of the burn without the screen.

if I forget to open the air before I open the door I can feel the suction on the door.

I think your 1800 will have pretty short cycles in this weather.

a few degrees colder here. Thankfully very little wind.

Reactions: RomanW
Yeah the wind has been pretty still. I'm lucky to get 3 hours haha, but I'm burning pine so that probably explains it. I also dont load it up fully. It doesn't seem to burn as well, almost like it's choking for air.

Dang, I thought 20º today was cold.

• Haha
47 and just started raining. Waiting for that other shoe to drop Friday night into sunday.

We had -38 wind chills here in cental PA, overnight temp was -8 or around there. Once it gt like 0 it doesnt matter much what the temp says. I put on my Woolrich coat, shovel and salt, and start the cars often. I hate winter, but what they hay right?