hope i didn't pull the trigger on early pellet purchase...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanhoe

Feeling the Heat
Dec 27, 2008
great white northern ontario
Hi,
I couldn't back away from a $225/ton purchase for next season. The cheapest i've seen was $300/ton and then to $250/ton(at Lowes) so a PM w/10% lower from Home Depot was the bait i needed as of June 1st, the hated Ontario HST is kicking in for another 8% tax was a no brainer! Now i hope the pellets will stay healthy until the heating season, some will be in the basement(with optional dehumidifier in room) and the rest in my garage.
ivanhoe
PIGGY(6tons)

I hope their pellets that you've burned in your stove before, or are one of the "top shelf " pellets that get good marks on here, like Okies, Barefoot, Cubex, etc. The price IS good, as long as their not junk pellets.

They are Premium pellets from BC. I've burn some last year and i found them to burn hotter than my Comforts from Quebec. Lowes are selling Surefire and also burn well. The choices are very limited in this area but they are starting to expand which is a good thing.

We are close to pulling the trigger.
Right now the price is $240/ton delivered for the "New" Athens or Corinth both made here in Maine.
I tested Athen's pellets last weekend and was very impressed.
The dealer is planning/expecting his prices to dip below $200 before next Fall.
Buy now or wait.......

$225/ton is a good price.
We have seen a steady drop here in prices since 2008.
2008 $314
2009 $273
2010 $240
Oil hasn't shown the same trend...mmmmm!

Hi
Also from Ontario. Just picked up a ton of Dragan Mountains from Home Hardware for$200. Mabe the Depot will PM plus 10 on this price as I will still nead 2 more for next season.

The consensus here is that there really isn't much of a consensus. Some people are saying "buy now because pellet prices are at their low point" while others are saying "wait till the April early buy promotions". My crystal ball is in the shop being repaired so I'm like everyone else... Going to try to buy when I think I've found a good deal. One place I buy from still has Okies at $239 a ton. For Okies this is a VERY good price. I'll be buying some shortly, but watching the ads.
Pellet prices have "traditionally" had low points in the spring. Last year ruined that theory when pellets in most places dropped in late summer, fall, and continued to drop into the winter.

Could be worse I suppose... Years ago many oil burning customers "locked in" at "pre buy" prices which were a little on the high side, only to watch as oil plummeted by up to a dollar a gallon that fall/winter. Those poor people were pretty much forced to pay the higher price all winter. If I'm going to miss out on a low price on something, I'd rather be off by $20 or so a ton on pellets than a dollar a gallon on oil. I "used to" burn about 750 gallons a winter. :lol:

There is a place marketing pellets in Ontario. $5.50/bag and $245 bulk. Might be worth checking into for you Ontario peeps? Keep us posted on what you find.

http://www.gildalefarms.ca/

Just passing along what I found in my travels. As always try before you buy!

Happy pellet hunting!
jay

pete1018 said:
Hi
Also from Ontario. Just picked up a ton of Dragan Mountains from Home Hardware for$200. Mabe the Depot will PM plus 10 on this price as I will still nead 2 more for next season.
at least your local home hardware sells pellets. too bad it's a big storage hog, we would have more, more competition. i've never tried dragan mountain pellets, how are them?

So far a good pellet a lot less ash than the Michigan Wood pellets I was burning and good heat. All the Home Hardware stores in the Peterborough area have pellets with a mix of brands. The local TSC also carries them Okanagan but near $7 a bag, $7 vs $4 (no thanks).

if i ever get a chance to go to peterborough, i will visit the home hardware for some DRAGAN's. let me know what Home Depot sells in your area. i should try to get Lowe's to price match the priced matched i got at HD then i'll be paying $4 a bag too!! lol, doesn't hurt to try(you never know until you ask). and yes, try before buying!

as much as it sucks, alot of the pellet's prices are connected to oil: whether it be due to demand (high home heating costs driving up consumer demand), diesel (to ship them) or energy (to make them). with oil expected to creep on up again, pellet prices won't be far behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.