Hoping for a scrounge score PLUS!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
Last week we had a storm tear through the city I work for that took down a ton of trees, even tore the roof off a couple of apartments. While driving around I found where the city is putting the trees that they collect. There's a stack that's about 30' long, 10' deep, and 5' tall of various size logs of ash, oak, hickory, locust, and maples (most silver). A buddy and I were checking it out last night and now we have to find out who we have to get permission from to get our hands on it. It's in a locked, fenced area, but I have a key!

fv

My dad has always said, "its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission".

spacecowboyIV said:
My dad has always said, "its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission".

I am in line for a promotion and I don't want to do anything to mess that up! Not worth even worth a lifetime supply of firewood c/s/s.

Yep, work in Kettering. I talked to the guy in charge and he was going to let us get at it early but was hesitant. So we agreed that he will let us know when and where they are going to put it out for residents and we'd go from there. This will be in about three weeks so hopefully it will cool off before then.

fv

Tell him you'll just take some of the wood. Grab the hickory and don't look back.

richg said:
Tell him you'll just take some of the wood. Grab the hickory and don't look back.
You don't like Locust?

Woody Stover said:
richg said:
You don't like Locust?
;-)

I'd grab every stick of that Hickory & Locust.Then if they gave the OK & I still had room on my property,take as much Oak as possible too.

Here's my plan; hickory, ash, locust, hard maple, soft maple. The first three will be interchangeable as I find them in the stack.

fv

fireview2788 said:
Here's my plan; hickory, ash, locust, hard maple, soft maple. The first three will be interchangeable as I find them in the stack.

fv

I'd definitely place "hard maple", if it's sugar maple, ahead of ash. Ditto locust.

fv, good luck on getting that. Maybe you can at least get first grabs.

I remember several years ago when a bunch of trees had to be cut after a tornado in one town. They piled all of it in the city park and it was free to anyone. As far as I know, it all got chipped as nobody came to haul any away. Sad...

That won't be a problem here, plenty of scroungers taking what residents put out. The only people who will have access to it are residents and employees of the city so that will limit the scroungers. I'm thinking there will be much more to come. The guy I talked to said that under normal circumstances the wood is set out for employees because there isn't much wood.

fv

Great score! My city has a recycle area where people can bring their grass clippings, branches and other yard waste. Sometimes I find some good firewood there and other times the city cuts down storm damaged trees and pile them up for anyone that wants them, first come first serve. Over the last 5 years I think I scored close to 12 cords of Locust, Maple, Elm, Boxelder and other various trees. The only problem I see is liability, what if someone gets hurt and sue the city then one of my firewood sources may dry up.

fireview2788 said:
Here's my plan; hickory, ash, locust, hard maple, soft maple.

Just keep your fingers crossed nobody else round your way also has a plan involving hickory, ash, locust, hard maple, and soft maple......... ;-)

Todd said:
The only problem I see is liability, what if someone gets hurt and sue the city then one of my firewood sources may dry up.

People kept dumping trash here. So the city put up those 2x2x6 concrete blocks around the perimeter and installed a locked gate. Now all the small time tree guys that were dumping the bigger rounds after the city guys left for the day and on Sundays can't dump their any more and no one with a day job can get mulch.

Omaha does not allow anyone to get wood. It all gets ground up for mulch, that they sell. I've been getting some oak, apple and locust from a local tree service as their trucks are right next door to my work :)
Talked with them yesterday and they put me on their list to dump wood in my driveway. We will see how that works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.