1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Hoping this will be a significant change that I'm seeing...

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by chvymn99, Nov 11, 2012.

1. chvymn99

chvymn99 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kansas
    I've had my NC-13 for a year and half now. Its been good enough to keep up with the demands, of this older house. But not much room to wriggle when it gets below 20 degrees outside. Always was thinking maybe I need to step up to the NC-30 just to give me more options. But didn't want to get the living room too hot either. Its sized to the requirements of my square footage.

Well three weeks ago I decided to lay R-19 insulation in the attic (there wasn't no insulation in the attic before this). What a difference it has made on me burning so far. The heat requirements have dropped off quite abit. So instead of burning hard and hot, I can burn with a lower temperature.

So thanks for all the encouragement last year to tell me to insulate, just didn't think it would be that dramatic of change. So hopefully this change will carry on throughout the winter.
    Beer Belly and bluedogz like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    Going from zero attic insulation, you should see a huge difference.

I had to move the insulation off 1/2 of my stove room and clear a path to the opposite end of the house to do some remodel work. Cold weather caught up with me and even having those sections 'exposed' you could tell a huge difference in the heat load for the house. The day I blew insulation back into those spots, it immediately made a huge difference in how much less wood I had to stoke in the stove.
    chvymn99 likes this.
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Good work. Insulation and sealing leaks is the best investment you can make toward reducing heating and cooling bills.
    chvymn99 likes this.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Most definitely, insulation can be costly but it does not take long to pay for it and you are so much more comfortable.
    chvymn99 likes this.
  5. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Good job. Heat must have been rising and cooling. Enjoy the new warmth.
  6. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Nice work my sealing is insulated as well you will find out you burn less wood to keep warm.
    chvymn99 likes this.
  7. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    Of all the places to have no insulation, that had to hurt. No wonder you entertained a larger stove. Now for the inevitable question: How are the walls?
    chvymn99 likes this.
  8. chvymn99

Loc:
    Kansas
    The living room got insulation and new sheet rock about 4 years ago when I redid my west & north facing windows. But time hasn't been on my side since then to get more done. Did find some time in a about 4 evenings to get the insulation laid down. Now hopefully in the next few years I can get the bedrooms and upstairs done. But I can always dream too. :eek:
  9. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    Try putting a portable fan at the door of a bedroom and point it out (not in). Several members here swear that it helps heat peripheral rooms by forcing warm air to replace the cooler air expelled at the bottom. Might help.
  10. chvymn99

Loc:
    Kansas
    Yes, it does work. I was hesistant at first, but decided to try it just for the heck of it. But its still hard to get it to turn another 90 to go into the bedroom, but helps put heat in the hallway. Thats helps out a lot in temperature differences in the house.
  11. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    I recently set up some fans to move cold air along the floors and toward the stove room, and it works like magic. If you set, the fans in the proper places.
    chvymn99 likes this.
  12. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    We did all the windows in the house this summer.....what a difference.....little things, with a big payoff. As far as a fan, try one of those little desk fans.....sits low to the ground.
    chvymn99 likes this.
  13. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Before installing the woodstove I took folks' opinions here to heart and tightened up the place with more insulation . . . it made a difference.
    chvymn99 likes this.
  14. chvymn99

Loc:
    Kansas
    See I saw it, just didn't apply it to myself. Now I'm thinking kickin' myself in the butt for not doing it earlier.

Yes, when we did our 5 windows, it was amazing the draft the old windows had going on. You'd freeze to death if you where on the couch by that window, with a north wind.