Hopper Extension

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MainePellethead

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2007
Southern Maine
Hey fellow pelletheads! A couple nights ago...I woke at 3 a.m.....couldnt sleep so I was thinking.... The stove I bought (Quad Castille) holds 50 lbs. of pellets approx. My question would be or thought would be....why couldnt I...take some measurements and fabricate and give it a nice stove black color a hopper ext. Not a huge one but one that would have tabs that would lock it into place and hold maybe an extra 20 pounds or so of pellets just for when I am gone overnight etc...? Any thoughts or experiences that some might have done already to their stoves. I would get a hopper extension but they dont sell one for the Quadra Fire Castille model. Thanks guys and gals.

Alright AW, how are ya getting 50lbs in there? I can barely get 40lb, and I have to sit on the hopper lid to do that! Seriously, you raise a question I've wondered about for some time, I also have the Castile and it sure would be nice to get just a few more pounds in. I suppose you could look in the phone book for your local metal fab co, I've been meaning to do that but was hoping someone made them already price wise. Keep me posted? Just think, two sales already right here!

My BIG E holds 120 lbs , you can buy extentions that allow you to hold 210 lbs . That is one reason I love my BIG E . I'm not trying to bust on you , but why did you buy a pellet stove that holds so little ? And why do they make pellet stoves that hold so little ?

buildingmaint said:
My BIG E holds 120 lbs , you can buy extentions that allow you to hold 210 lbs . That is one reason I love my BIG E . I'm not trying to bust on you , but why did you buy a pellet stove that holds so little ? And why do they make pellet stoves that hold so little ?
I bought the Castille because of the Quad name....and also one reason I picked the Castille is I do not "need" a large stove...the stove is the perfect BTU's I need. I could of picked the Santa Fe...but liked the Castille. However...given the hopper situation, should I have looked elsewhere because the hopper wasnt big enough? lol I'm a Chevy person....am I gonna pick a Ford cause the gas tank "may" be 2 gallons bigger lol :) Not! lol Fabricating an extension is not a big deal...pretty easy to get done.

GotzTheHotz said:
Alright AW, how are ya getting 50lbs in there? I can barely get 40lb, and I have to sit on the hopper lid to do that! Seriously, you raise a question I've wondered about for some time, I also have the Castile and it sure would be nice to get just a few more pounds in. I suppose you could look in the phone book for your local metal fab co, I've been meaning to do that but was hoping someone made them already price wise. Keep me posted? Just think, two sales already right here!
lol maybe it is 40....I could of sworn i got a lil extra in there lol...but an extension is "definitely" something I want to have fabricated. 60 lbs in the hopper would be cool for me :) I'll keep you posted and post a pic if I get one made.

Here are some pics of my hopper extension. I had my brother-in-law (a welder) fab a extension for me about 5 years ago. He simply used some heavy gage sheet metal and welded a basic box, with the top and bottom open. He put tabs on it so it won't slide into the stove pellet bin. My extension holds about 80 additional pounds. He made a lid for it (with handle). I have yet to attach hinges to the lid. I used this extension when I go on trips.

Hint #1==> Have your sister marry a welder. It's helps when you need stuff fabbed for your projects.

Attachments

• L1000690.JPG
    L1000690.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,136
  • L1000691.JPG
    L1000691.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 1,331
bit_flores said:
Here are some pics of my hopper extension. I had my brother-in-law (a welder) fab a extension for me about 5 years ago. He simply used some heavy gage sheet metal and welded a basic box, with the top and bottom open. He put tabs on it so it won't slide into the stove pellet bin. My extension holds about 80 additional pounds. He made a lid for it (with handle). I have yet to attach hinges to the lid. I used this extension when I go on trips.

Hint #1==> Have your sister marry a welder. It's helps when you need stuff fabbed for your projects.

Nice....now see.....thats what I'm talking bout! lol Thats awesome. Thanks for the pic and words...

The hopper size was one of the reasons we picked the santafe over the castile. that and price.

Status
Not open for further replies.