Hopper fire stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan 24, 2011
Iowa
I've been looking for a larger stove now that I am into pellet burning. I have been talking to a manufacture that has a refurbished stove that had a pellet fire. The price is reasonable. Is there anything I should look out for on this deal? I was kind of surprised they would sell a stove that had been hopper fired.

Why would you buy one that had a hopper fire? That is a rare occurance with most stoves. There is safeguards built into most stoves to prevent such things from happening.

Factory refurbished from the manufacture. Reason for the return was hopper fire. It's about 1 the price of a new one. So I guess it's been gone through and parts replaced so that its up to par?

Its your business what you buy but I would try to get as much information about that model as I can and determine if this is a common problem or not. If it is a common problem I would keep looking because there is no sense in buying a potential headache.

I'd want to know the cause of the fire. In other words I'd need a few questions answered first.

It normally (note weasel word) takes a multiple failure (frequently [another weasel word] including a human failure) to get a fire going in the hopper.

2400 said:
I've been looking for a larger stove now that I am into pellet burning. I have been talking to a manufacture that has a refurbished stove that had a pellet fire. The price is reasonable. Is there anything I should look out for on this deal? I was kind of surprised they would sell a stove that had been hopper fired.

Is that the same wood pellet stove in this Derry House?

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/67166/

If so I would get real good fire insurance!

What was the final outcome of your 'windowless' window stove? Did they take it back?

I wasn't the one that had any issues with my window pellet stove. I am actually very happy with it. I use propane and have an old house. I wasn't getting much heat at the back of the house so I bought a window stove to supplement the back north west corner. It worked great. It was my first endeavor with a pellet stove and it is the reason I want to upgrade. I liked the heat and want to wean myself off propane. The window stove appealed to me because of the ease of installation. No stove pipe, portable, etc. I still haven't decided what to buy. The prices of these stove are falling drastically. Still researching.

To answer some questions: There are no details of the hopper fire. It was not the one in the Derry fire. I'm not sure I want to mention the manufacture. Don't want to step on any toes. I just wanted to add that I was told the stove had all new components and has been test fired.

All pellet stoves can have hopper fires. It is just a matter of not properly maintaining them (and that includes cleaning them).

2400 said:
I wasn't the one that had any issues with my window pellet stove.

Oh, that's right. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.