Hopper fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
No not really but it got your attention.

This is a furnace I have and I used some dirty corn just to see what would happen. The furnace will burn the corn but it heats up the auger drop shoot. When the fines come down the shoot they ignite and cause a clinker in the tube. This causes the corn or pellets to dam up and can start to burn.

I just wanted to show what happens with excessive fines in corn or pellets. Watch what you burn.

Eric

Attachments

• SANY0271.JPG
    SANY0271.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 732
  • SANY0273.JPG
    SANY0273.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 729
Point Taken!!!! Nuff said...........

Eric, good effect. Do you have any evidence for your statement that it can happen with pellets. I'm pretty new at this, and so far my pellets (Pennington Nature's Heat and Energex) don't seem to have all that many fines, although the Pennington does have a lot more than the Energex. I can see how it coulg happen with corn, though. Must say, also, looks like a total lack of cleaning on that furnace may be a contributing factor, BUT, that's just my opinion

hossthehermit said:
Eric, good effect. Do you have any evidence for your statement that it can happen with pellets. I'm pretty new at this, and so far my pellets (Pennington Nature's Heat and Energex) don't seem to have all that many fines, although the Pennington does have a lot more than the Energex. I can see how it coulg happen with corn, though. Must say, also, looks like a total lack of cleaning on that furnace may be a contributing factor, BUT, that's just my opinion

This was with a corn pellet mix. I had a farmer donate some of his corn to see how it burned. It was not sifted but burned well in this furnace and one other stove. It did have a large amount of dust and fines in the bag. I wear black shirts and when I lifted the bag up I was covered in dust from the corn.

I have not cleaned this furnace in some time (never) and kinda running a torture test on it. That is why I am not listing the name of the furnace but it is doing a very very very awesome job so far. My next test is putting in some scrap metal. I heard Magnesium burns hot....... It is all abouit the BTU. Kidding.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
.....My next test is putting in some scrap metal. I heard Magnesium burns hot........ Eric

Yep, that magnesium will give you a hot time at the 'ole stove.......for a few seconds. :lol:

macman said:
kinsman stoves said:
.....My next test is putting in some scrap metal. I heard Magnesium burns hot........ Eric

Yep, that magnesium will give you a hot time at the 'ole stove.......for a few seconds. :lol:
Or until the fire dept. arrives.

That would make a very nice headline in the paper.

Eric

macman said:
kinsman stoves said:

Would that be the point at which the magnesium, exits both the stove and the floor below taking molten stove along for a ride ;-)?

Dow N. Jones said:
so what & why not just clean it a little= little reaming,eh?

Has anyone ever seen a post from Pook that contained a complete sentence or a coherent thought?????

SmokeyTheBear said:
macman said:
kinsman stoves said:

Would that be the point at which the magnesium, exits both the stove and the floor below taking molten stove along for a ride ;-)?

Yep, pretty much.

hey Eric, let me know when you plan to try the mag in the stove.....it would be worth a drive from NY to see that. :coolsmile:

kinsman stoves said:
hossthehermit said:

This was with a corn pellet mix. I had a farmer donate some of his corn to see how it burned. It was not sifted but burned well in this furnace and one other stove. It did have a large amount of dust and fines in the bag. I wear black shirts and when I lifted the bag up I was covered in dust from the corn.

I have not cleaned this furnace in some time (never) and kinda running a torture test on it. That is why I am not listing the name of the furnace but it is doing a very very very awesome job so far. My next test is putting in some scrap metal. I heard Magnesium burns hot....... It is all abouit the BTU. Kidding.

Eric

"DONATION FROM LOCAL FARMER BURNS DOWN TOWN!!!" I can see the headlines now. Seriously, though, I'm wondering how much of the problem is from fines, and how much is attributable to other factors, like moisture content on that batch of free corn, worm guts, corn borers. Wish I had a place to really give a stove (or furnace), a test like this. I'd like to try tire chips. You're a lucky man, Eric. Looking to hire any help? I'm a certified, trained Safety Coordinator in the paper industry.

macman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
macman said:
kinsman stoves said:

Yep, pretty much.

hey Eric, let me know when you plan to try the mag in the stove.....it would be worth a drive from NY to see that. :coolsmile:

Since I had to buy the FURNACE NOT STOVE, commercial building, and pay the insurance. I will have to bow down on this double dog dare. But then again this is the first beer of the night.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
....Since I had to buy the FURNACE NOT STOVE, commercial building, and pay the insurance. I will have to bow down on this double dog dare. But then again this is the first beer of the night.

Eric

OK, after you've had a "few" beers, and when you DO decide to put the mag in the FURNACE, I'll make arrangements to rent the trailer to pick up the 2 tons of free pellets you have saved for me...........whadda mean you don't remember that???? have another beer, and then take a CLOSE look at the pic...you even marked them for me. :)

Attachments

• Macmans pellets.jpg
    Macmans pellets.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 612
macman said:
kinsman stoves said:
....Since I had to buy the FURNACE NOT STOVE, commercial building, and pay the insurance. I will have to bow down on this double dog dare. But then again this is the first beer of the night.

Eric

OK, after you've had a "few" beers, and when you DO decide to put the mag in the FURNACE, I'll make arrangements to rent the trailer to pick up the 2 tons of free pellets you have saved for me...........whadda mean you don't remember that???? have another beer, and then take a CLOSE look at the pic...you even marked them for me. :)

RIGHT.

I done some crazy things with beer but giving pellets away is not one of them. The warehouse is looking worse than that. After today I am down to 30 tons and 10 are paid for awaiting p/u. Next truck coming in for my supply is not till the 10th. I have a load going to a store I supply and it will break the 1,800 ton mark for the year. My kids like it empty so they can ride their bikes.

Andrew Churchill said:
Dow N. Jones said:
so what & why not just clean it a little= little reaming,eh?

Has anyone ever seen a post from Pook that contained a complete sentence or a coherent thought?????
i liked the one where he wanted to turn a pellet stove into a air conditioner glug,gulg,glug

kinsman stoves said:
Since I had to buy the FURNACE NOT STOVE, commercial building, and pay the insurance. I will have to bow down on this double dog dare. But then again this is the first beer of the night.

Eric

Have a couple more, and then throw a hard drive platter in the microwave. Cheap thrills. Don't ask me how I know this.

Had a guy bring in his auger from his drop chute fire. It tarted burning in his hopper also but did not get far luckily. I got the old "I clean my stove every week" speech. Also found out he runs it 24/7 and only dumps the ashes once a week also. Its a Quad gravity feed unit so you have to manually dump the ashes out of the bottom of the firepot.

eric, have you ever seen a fire from this setup? love ms paint

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    4.6 KB · Views: 535
j00fek said:

I just sat her almost crying. I though of my kids and their crayons drawing the backyard swingset. "how did the dog get up there? Stop I do not want to know."

It would take a lot to get fire up the drop chute since the corn clinkered up, in this case. Now smoke will be a different case. In a case of pellets, I only burn quality pellets, MINE. I think it can be done but would need the moon to align with the stars of Jupiter while Venus dropped into an eclipse (you know what I mean).

Eric

j00fek said:

Thats how a Quad works, auger pulls up from the bottom of the hopper then drops into a free fall chute down into the firepot. Hopper fires are very possible but only when the stove is left un-kept. If you let enough ash build up in the firepot eventually the raw fuel will start backing up into the drop chute. This would "bridge" the chain of pellets from the firepot up to the auger tube. From there you just need a few other variable to line up right and you can start your hopper on fire.

jtp10181 said:
j00fek said:

Thats how a Quad works, auger pulls up from the bottom of the hopper then drops into a free fall chute down into the firepot. Hopper fires are very possible but only when the stove is left un-kept. If you let enough ash build up in the firepot eventually the raw fuel will start backing up into the drop chute. This would "bridge" the chain of pellets from the firepot up to the auger tube. From there you just need a few other variable to line up right and you can start your hopper on fire.

That is the way most stoves are except bottom feeders such as Harman.

Yes there will need to be a large pile of whatever to get the fire into the auger drop tube. It can be done but I think that the negative pressure in the stove and lack of combustion blower into the auger tube will keep the fire from happening. Pellets will not burn on their own and need the combustion blower.

All this on my first cup of coffee.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.