1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Hopper HangUp - What is this weird stuff?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Don2222, Nov 16, 2012.

1. imacman

imacman Guest

Absolutely.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Interesting, I never had them in my Astoria. Do you remember what pellets you were using? If they were Hardwood or Softwood? Any pics?

Were they as big as the ones I show.

I did see your one pic in this post but clinkers are not as big or the same shape.
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/tested-some-hamers-hot-ones-clinkers.64211/
  3. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

No.. Pellets do not go from Mill/Die to bag. They are allowed time to cool and dry before throwing them in a bag.

If they were bagged immediately, the heat would cause lots of condensate inside the bag and ruin the pellets.

Another reason why making your own pellets would be a pian. Need Lots of drying racks :(

Don. Thats a clinker. Every one has seen one. Including yourself. It should have been obvious. As far as believing the customer? I have Best friends that still lie to me. Take there word with a grain of salt.
    343amc and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  4. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    We never lie, we only fib a lil! Specially on fish stories! ::-) :p
  5. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH

I agree Dexter they are clinkers, the torch did not set them on fire because they already burned. Just so large and strange shape compared to Imacman's photo in link I posted above.
  6. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

yea, those clinkers are *probably* from elevated chloride levels.....change brands, see if there are clinkers....but try a good brand! Spring for a something such as an Okanagan, Cubex......
  7. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH

Agree, but my customer had trouble trying to return 2 tons and getting something different. I think she has different ones now. I really hope so!
  8. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

for your sanity, so do I
  9. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.

Might already be too late! ;hm
    SmokeyTheBear likes this.
  10. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

heck, I already KNOW I am crazy! !!!
  11. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Well ya, pellets smolder out of the mill all the time, look at your pellets and sometimes you'll see smooth black ones... There you go. To get clinkers like that you would have to have the mill catch fire, somewhat burn down and then bag up the remains.
  12. earl764

earl764 Member

Loc:
    CT
    My Astoria has produced clinkers like that. They only happen when I change pellets and don't adjust the damper. Some pellets(infernos) need special settings otherwise they clinker up badly. Once adjusted they burn fine.

IMG_0096.jpg
    IMG_7232.jpg
  13. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    thats a fossil of a burn pot!
    IHATEPROPANE likes this.
  14. earl764

earl764 Member

Loc:
    CT
    Totally. In the end I had 3 burn holes that went from the top to the bottom of the clinker. I set it outside and it still hasn't broken down fully. That was back in February.

I upped the air intake and they burned fine. I used more than I had on hand last year and had to take whatever home depot/lowes had. This year I grabbed four tons instead of three. You really are better off w/ the good stuff pellet wise.
  15. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    I miss pook.
    343amc, jtakeman and smoke show like this.
  16. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Don,

Over the edge you go when you take the ole I cleaned the stove so well you can eat off of it type of response.

Pink insulation in the combustion air path, bird carcasses in the combustion fan, toy cars in the air intake, ash plugged ash traps, acorns in the ash traps, and on and on it goes.
  17. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    You lucked out and had enough air flow adjustment to be able to get the ash ejected before it reached the required cooking time to sinter.
  18. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    I wish you wouldn't go back and add to a post that I already quoted a response to! If you have a customer with creosote in the stove:

1. Don't use acetone at a customers house to clean creosote, harmful vapors in a living environment not to mention fire hazard. Pull the stove back to your shop, burn the mess out with a torch or just use soapy water. 8 hrs? The worst stove I ever encountered took me 2 or 3.

2. Creosote is the condensation of smoke or wood resin as a vapor. If creosote is present then I would suspect that air is not. Dirty stove, slow exhaust motor, bad gaskets, clogged burn pot (hey, we're back to the clinkers again) etc...

In all of your 5000 or so posts, the countless hours you spend here, you think you'd have learned some basics by now. Go to school man go to school.

I'm getting a little too busy to police this sorta thing. Don, some pellets are just plain crappy. Some users are just plain lazy or uneducated doesn't mean you have to follow suit.
  19. imacman

imacman Guest

This thread is great....I haven't eaten this much popcorn in years. :)

Carry on.
    will711 and jtakeman like this.
  20. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH

That is total crap, soap and water would not take that mess off the stove! These customers wore not lazy or uneducated they just tried 2 bags of another brand and it wiped out their stove. I never saw anything like it! Acetone saved the day, we cleaned the stove up and got it running like new again!
  21. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.

Almost as much fun as watching the sports channels with all the a-rod drama! They seem to have nuttin to work on?

I need a beer to wash down the popcorn! :p
  22. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    I dropped out cause I discovered a was as smart as the people teaching me. Doesn't mean I would presume to know everything, but what I do know I know well. You found the meteorite in the burn pot and assumed it came from outer space, not me.
    Lousyweather likes this.
  23. 343amc

343amc Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Popcorn? I think boxing gloves are going to be coming out soon. The innaugural hearth.com Pellet Mill Cage Match, sponsored by CHI Associates. Live on pay per view Monday, August 19, 2013.

Differences of opinion are OK, but this seems to be degrading into personal attacks.

Ya'll both got big, ummm, stoves. Maybe its time to take a break and fondle a pellet or two.
    DexterDay, will711, Don2222 and 2 others like this.
  24. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Just finished my fourth service call... Going back to the shop to pay down a floor!
  25. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME

You must mean A-ROID?:p