Hopper size Avalon APG/Lopi

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gqllc007

Sep 1, 2014
Albany NY
I have a free standing Avalon APG. Yesterday it shut down due to low/close to empty pellets. I could see the blade that cuts the pellets so I added a 40# bag. That bag basically filled the entire hopper..maybe could get in 10 more pounds. I thought the capacity was 80#'s??? And I thought only the insert had an adjustable hopper size?? So does your free standing unit hold 80#'s??

My Lyden holds 50lbs & that's brings to the top

I'm not sure it will hold 80 pounds, but if I put a full bag in and push them all the way to the back I can fit 3/4 of a second bag in there.

i can fit 2 bags 80pounds in my hopper i have free standing Avalon APG it matter the size of the pellets
I have the agp insert in a zero clearance FP and with Heatr's can't load a whole bag but with the smaller Big Heats from TSC, the whole bag can fit .. size matters (also the Heatr's don't flow through the hopper as well bit that's another topic altogether,)

I have the agp insert in a zero clearance FP and with Heatr's can't load a whole bag but with the smaller Big Heats from TSC, the whole bag can fit .. size matters (also the Heatr's don't flow through the hopper as well bit that's another topic altogether,)
I can only get 25-30 pounds in due to the small zc fireplace. I fill up the hopper 2 times a day from the same bag. I refill approximately every 8-10 hours on medium setting. If I burn during the day the house maintains the heat at 69-70 degrees throughout the night if I shut it down.

I called the place I purchased it and they said typically a bag and a half
If your hopper is extended to the max. Could not extend mine all the way because of the small opening.

I didn't think the freestanding hopper is adjustable
No the insert can be adjusted to except more than 40 lbs. It depends on how large your fireplace opening was. Mine was very small. The Lopi Agp was the only model that was able to fit such a small opening, and they were not able to extend the hopper. The free standing stove you can get as much as it will take. I opted for the insert because I did not want the stove in one corner and a nonfunctioning fireplace in another. If there was no fireplace, I would definitely went with the free standing stove.

I can only get 25-30 pounds in due to the small zc fireplace. I fill up the hopper 2 times a day from the same bag. I refill approximately every 8-10 hours on medium setting. If I burn during the day the house maintains the heat at 69-70 degrees throughout the night if I shut it down.

pretty much the same here 1 bag in 2 "feedings" per day keeps the 1600 sq ft upper level of my home at 70 +

I use about a half bag more on weekends when I am home more

Status
Not open for further replies.