Hopper wall build up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan_J

Dec 23, 2010
Southern NH
Over time the sides of the hopper on our Harman Accentra insert built up a coating of some sort. I'm trying to figure out if it is residue from the pellets we've used or ....? The slide plate is free and clean only the hopper walls seem to be involved. Scraping it off with a razor blade worked best, and it broke down almost like sawdust when scraped off. I started to clean before snapping the pictures so you can see the difference. Anyone have any idea if this is just baked on pellet remains or the sign of something wrong with the stove? Stove runs clean and hot with no apparent issues. hopper1.JPGhopper2.JPGhopper3.JPG

I get some of that from the Vts I'm burning. In my stove the hopper gets pretty warm and I think the heat brings some of the resins out of the fines and sticks it to the hopper walls.

Do a search here for gummy stove. I believe your stove has that issue!

My first thought too, but the slide plate is free and clear. I thought that would be first to gum up?

For Evan's sake, I hope we are wrong.

When the hopper is empty wipe the walls down with wax paper. It's like waxing your skis, and will make the walls slippery again. Don't laugh, give it a try, it works.:cool:

Midfielder -our hopper gets pretty warm too, especially when the stove is cranking. I'm leaning towards it being a resin type mess.

Jtakeman - I've seen some of the threads on gummy stoves, and one with a mod to fix it, but my understanding was that was on older stoves. Ours was made in December 2010, and if I remember correctly already has the a bi-pass tube from the factory. I could be wrong though, that's why I posted. Plenty of users on here with more knowledge on this stuff than I have.

gbreda - that was my thought too that the slide plate would be a mess if I had the gummy stove.

Defiant - making the hopper walls slippery sounds good. Although, when I think wax I think candle... but doubt I'd get enough wax off of wax paper to pose any fire hazard.

Try it. I do it on my XXV, heard about it from a friend that has an Accentra insert with the same issue as you:cool:

When the hopper is empty wipe the walls down with wax paper. It's like waxing your skis, and will make the walls slippery again. Don't laugh, give it a try, it works.:cool:
Found this thread doing a search for sticky hopper walls. The wax paper works great. Fast and easy. Thanks

Reactions: Defiant

Finally a use for wax paper...I think we've had the same roll in the drawer for 15 years!! LOL

I just finished cleaning my hopper this morning. The pellet residue was building up and I hot water wiped the hopper. Then i sprayed furniture polisher on a rag and wiped down the hopper. Certain pellets are the culprit:mad: and I just finished the last of them.:cool: (Granulco, they had a funny sticky feel to them!) Gotta try the wax paper method on the next wipe.;)

I get a build up on the front wall of my hopper that is slanted over the heat exchanger area. I use scotchbrite pad. I figure it is the softwood pellets getting warmer ...

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that it has to be the pellets. I've cleaned off the hopper walls a couple times this season, but it's been easier to just keep it full than to worry having every last pellet slide. I've burned a few different brands this year (Trebio\MWP Softies\BoundaryBay\Vermont) and I seem to have the same result with all of them. I will have to give the hopper a good thorough cleaning at the end of the season.

Certain pellets that get "Hot" seem to leave this, on my old Stove I get this on just the front wall of hopper.

It's 17 yrs old. So I just leave it.. ;) never had an issue on any other stove, but there are numerous air spaces and insulation on my other stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.