Hopper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

naughted

Feb 4, 2007
What do some of you do to keep the pellets from clinging to the side of the hopper and not feeding the auger. I have had the fire go out a couple of times due to this. The brand of pellets I was using was inconsistent in size and had a lot of fines in it. I have switched brands and the new pellets are larger and more consistent with a lot less fines. I have done a thorough cleaning of the stove and emptied and cleaned the hopper. Before I add pellets is there something I should coat the hopper with?

I started having problems and emptied the hopper, scrubbed it down with scotchbrite and a little paint thinner. let it dry for about three hours and sprayed the whole thing with Teflon lube. It hasn't eliminated the problem, but has greatly improved the movement. I have thought about lining the hopper with HDPE, but I want to run so temperature tests first. I think it's good to about 400*F, but I want some margin. I'd only do the upper half where the jams occur, not the lower parts where the heat really builds.

Status
Not open for further replies.