Horizon Eclipse Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gthornhi

Nov 28, 2005
Got a great deal on a used pellet stove but now realize the manufacturer is out of business (so I see from another post on this forum).

Any other owners of this stove that have a copy of the users manual and/or the installation manual? I'm willing to part with a little cash of someone can mail me a photocopy. I'm new to pellet stoves and need a little help getting started with this one (beginning with installation).

One thing I did notice as I plugged it in just to make sure that everything is working alright is that both fans seem to work and the auger turns fine too. Only problem - no fire. Is there an easy way to check to see what might be causing this problem? Is it possible that this stove doesn't have an automatic ignitor or do all pellet stoves have those.

Sorry for the "newbie" questions.

Greg

It probably doesn't have one, some of the new ones don't either. If there was you would see some sort of heat coil in the bottom. Lighting it the good old fashoned way isn't a crime anyways. Just toss in a tad of crushed paper and pile a big handfull of pellets on top of it. Turn the blower on so it has draft and light it with a lighter. I prefer a propane torch as its qiuicker and hotter. You might have to open the manual damper in the beginning if you have one. These stoves take some learning but you will pick it up quick enough even without a manual. You should join the Yahoo group "pellet stoves" as thats where most of the users hang out. You will find more than a few dealers who live there too, maby they can help you with a manual.

That has to be a very old stove and there is no way it has an ignitor. Use a hand full of pellets and some firestarter gel. A gel made from methyl alcohol is superior to the others and will require less to start. Light it, close the door and turn on the stove. If your gel isn't methyl, you may want to wait up to a minute to get the fire established prior to closing the door.

gthornhi said:
Got a great deal on a used pellet stove but now realize the manufacturer is out of business (so I see from another post on this forum).

Any other owners of this stove that have a copy of the users manual and/or the installation manual? I'm willing to part with a little cash of someone can mail me a photocopy. I'm new to pellet stoves and need a little help getting started with this one (beginning with installation).

Greg

You might be able to get some info from the folks who make St Croix Pellet Stoves...as I remember, they were making the same design as the Horizon (perhaps they bought the plans, etc.)....

Also, that stove was built from almost 100% "off the shelf" parts, which is a good thing. It means that many parts can be had at Grainger and similar supply houses.

The Horizon that I remember had no auger...just a rotating tunnel. Sort of a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.