Horizontal Install??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew1024

Jan 29, 2008
Central NJ
According to my research, it looks as though a horizontal install through the wall is not as good? Is this true? Also, if it is true, what if you use an outside air kit? Does that make this a more efficient way to go?

I don't think that the reason that "straight-out" is bad has to do with efficiency; its just that in the event of a power failure, or other mechanical failure that stops the stove's exhaust fans from running, the smoke in the stove has no place to go. "out and up", or "up and out" will create a draft that will continue to suck smoke out in such an event.

cac 4 is right , it is more for "abnormal operation such as power failure , tripped sensors or the like. not knowing which unit we are referring to , does your owners manual condone such an install?

StoveGuy

I have mt vernon ae. I was referring to the article posted on this website regarding different installs. It says that horizontal installs are not good in areas that have high prevailing winds (which I do have). This can cause poor burning of the stove. True? I have no idea, that's why I'm here . Fell free to chime in!

personally i dont like them in any install for the reasons i posted above as well as elsewhere. bottom line with a horizontal install and a power outage or component failure while running , the odds of having smoke in your house are increased greatly. now there are some who have had such a situation in the past and have not had smoke intrusion , but there are many who have as well, to me its cheap insurance. granted you can still have smoke with the added vert , but odds are lessened , especially with a well maintained unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.