horizontal pipe and draft ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis 2

Nov 29, 2007
western MA
Lets say you have a 20' chimney . Then you run a 4ft horizontal pipe from your stove to a right angle tee that is attached to your chimney pipe . OK,,,, Now I was told if you do this ,it would make your chimney work like it was only 15ft high,and lower your draft instead of the 24' chimney you now have . Is this true!?!

Those two right angle turns plus a long horiz. run can definitely lower draft. If this is to an exterior flue, draft can be lazy until the stack warms up. To lessen the problem either shorten the horiz run and give it a good uphill pitch, or use a 45 off the stove into a diagonal run, then another 45 at the chimney.

On the horizontal section, it is recommended to have a minimum of 1/4" per foot raise in the pipe. If not, you definitely will have a draft problem. Ours is not nearly that long (don't remember for sure but think it is in the 2-2 1/2' range), but when we put up a new chimney last year, instead of 1/4" like we had, we went more like 1/2" per foot and it definitely makes a difference. And our chimney is nowhere as tall as yours.

Backwoods Savage said:
On the horizontal section, it is recommended to have a minimum of 1/4" per foot raise in the pipe. If not, you definitely will have a draft problem. Ours is not nearly that long (don't remember for sure but think it is in the 2-2 1/2' range), but when we put up a new chimney last year, instead of 1/4" like we had, we went more like 1/2" per foot and it definitely makes a difference. And our chimney is nowhere as tall as yours.

Thanks to both of you. I have a strong up draft ( .08 ,.09) . To slow it down ,I just took off a 3 ft. section chimney pipe on the outside .I haven't fired it up get since its to warm to see if it would help . I also have a barometric damper installed which helped out the draft some last year , but still was burning up wood pretty fast. So I was thinking that if I install a horizontal pipe ( around two feet long ) with two 90's at a 1/4" it would help slow down the Draft more if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.