Horizontal vs vertical

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
I've used a splitter only twice and both times, I kept it vertical.

I have read that the vertical operation is for big rounds you can't lift and horizontal is for normal operation.

Does it make a difference? Can you get more done splitting horizontal standing vs sitting vertical?

Or is it just personal preference? Walk me thru your splitting protocol.

I only have a horizontal splitter, but I don't think I'd go vertical unless I couldn't get the round on the splitter. I usually have someone helping me, and they load the rounds, I run the splitter. I might think differently if I was splitting by myself.

I should have mentioned - I split by myself.

Which is best if lifting a heavy round is not a concern?

vertical what I use most of the time

I used to be vertical but have since converted to horizontal. I find it more comfortable and the view of both the operation and the surroundings is better. While you have to pick the round up higher, I find the toss into the heap easier than when sitting. That said, the big rounds of beech and locust suck it out of you and I will be adding a log lift at some point in the future.

Our horizontal is so close to the ground (6") that splitter trash will make a suitable ramp for big rounds. Back in the day I rolled rounds so big that I'd have to move the splitter lever with my foot...but that was before I was schooled in noodle cutting. I suppose it's a matter of operator preference. For me it'll always be horizontal cause I'm set in my ways.

Hi -

I like horizontal most of the time. I spot the wheel barrow on the off side and load it as go. Then run it over to the stacking area. It just keeps the splitting area clearer incase I gat a quantity of free wood that shows up.

If I have a quantity of large rounds I'll go vertical.

ATB,
Mike

Personal Pref. - Would you rather stand or sit/squat/kneel.

I find that splitting alone requires too much movement for me to consider the vertical operation. I also find that having a log lifter on my machine eliminates the "big log" issue. I quit crawling around YEARS ago. :coolsmile:

Ah, here we go again....

For me vertical is the only way to go for several reasons.

1. You don't have to pick up the log before splitting it.
2. You can sit while splitting which is much easier on the back and legs and takes less energy.
3. It is more natural because you are splitting the wood the same as if you were splitting with an axe or maul.
4. No extra table or log lift is requires, therefore saving dollars upon purchase and maintenance.
5. You can split alone more easily than doing it horizontally vs. having a helper.
6. Imagine after lifting a big log onto the horizontal splitter that it or one of the splits falls. That could be hard on the toes plus you would then have to lift that log or split all over again. More work.

That should be enough for now.

I usually end up with a mix of stuff from 3" to 33" and split vertical. I find a 16-24" diameter round and sit it infront of the splitter as a seat. I then stack a bunch of rounds to the right of the seat. As I split the rounds, I throw them in a pile to my left. If I have a helper they make sure I never run out of rounds to my right and when the splitter gets cold we switch jobs. If I'm working by myself, I just set the splitter to idle speed and refill the to-be split stack to my right and continue. The last thing to get split is my seat.

Karl, I do the opposite. That is, the rounds are on my left. My reasoning is that I can be putting the round on the butt plate with the left hand and the right hand already on the lever bringing the ram down. I doubt it makes a huge difference but it just made sense to me when I started so have continued with it. I have tried doing it your way just a few times but much prefer rounds on the left.

Backwoods Savage said:
Karl, I do the opposite. That is, the rounds are on my left. My reasoning is that I can be putting the round on the butt plate with the left hand and the right hand already on the lever bringing the ram down. I doubt it makes a huge difference but it just made sense to me when I started so have continued with it. I have tried doing it your way just a few times but much prefer rounds on the left.

+1

Small splits horizontal,
lots of monsters, vertical
40" logs for the kiln- vertical through the side, then a whack with the maul.

Hard to see, but here's a pile of them, splitter vertical

4512_1075315518261_1087394010_30198457_4917403_n.jpg

So someone splitting horizontal is not going to split more then someone splitting vertical? Its personal preference only.

Karl, what you described it exactly how I do it, minus the helper. I get up and stretch my legs and bring more rounds into reach.

I was just wondering if I could speed up the process some how and wondered if there was any atvantage to splitting horizontal? but from the responses - it all appears to be personal preference.

A 4 way wedge sure would be nice.

Backwoods savage, thanks for posting up the list of Pro's.

Its certainly personal preference - and mine is to split vertical.

I only have a horizontal and that is what I prefer , Id rather not have to stay bent over or working on my knees. The nice thing about my tractor mounted horizontal is its height adjustable , Its quiet as the tractor is only slightly over idle , Its easy to move around , And I can split at night with the cab lights on the tractor.

Smaller stuff I keep in the "round". Medium stuff I can lift is split horizontally. Big stuff I can't lift is split vertically. Usually, I move all the "rounds" stuff into one section, all the medium stuff into another section, and big stuff, if it is moveable, to yet another section of the splitting area. These three sections are close enough together that I can throw all the splits and rounds together.

Then I return the splitter to the garage and use my JD Gator to move the processed wood to the seasoning racks. It seems I am continually doing some fine tuning to increase efficiency or reduce wear and tear on my back and legs.

This process works for me and provides some pretty good exercise. John_M

Jags said:
Do you guys rebuild carburetors on the floor of your shop or on a bench, just wondering? :lol:

lol if I had your splitter I would be thinking the same way.....

Well here's where Dennis and I always tend to disagree . . . even though it seems we agree on most every other subject. He likes splitting vertically and I prefer horizontally. I think one could argue the pros- and cons- of both ways . . . but in the end it comes down to whatever style you are most comfortable (physically) doing . . . there is no right or wrong way.

I generally split horizontally . . . it's more comfortable for me and suits my needs . . . and I feel as though I am working faster and more efficiently . . . but then again Dennis could argue the same for his technique. I really do not think one mode is more efficient or better than another . . . rather . . . it's whatever is preferred.

I just picked up a Timberwolf TW-2 (horizontal only) and I have to say that I am a convert. I had previously rented vertical splitters, but at the end of the day I was beat. I am 6' 2, and sitting on a split (or milk crate) is too low and I would be bent over all day. I could hardly move by the time I was done. But after using this monster the other day, I wasn't in bad shape at all. Sure a little sore, but what 47 y/o wouldn't be after humping that much wood.

The pile below is about 4 1/2 hours of work by myself. I figure it is about 2.5 cords or so. For some scale the front of that hoop garage (at the base) is 8' wide.

IMG00004-20100203-1536.jpg

I like my timberwolf too , just wish it could pile wood .
I hate to be anal but I think you missed one over by the pallets .
:-/

Webie,

That pile is exactly how the wood came off the splitter. I did have to throw a couple of splits, but not too many. As the pile built up the splitter would just walk itself backward as the ram was extended. I do plan to add the outfeed table which will definitely help build the piles, and save on the back on the really big splits that have to go through the 4-way again.

The rounds you see by the pallets is a whole 'nother batch of rounds I have to get into this weekend.

CT-Mike said:
Webie,

As the pile built up the splitter would just walk itself backward as the ram was extended.

Yep, thats how mine works. No throwing of split wood, just let it pile and the splitter will move itself.

My first time using a splitter I automatically went to vertical and seemed to work pretty slick.

I was splitting big sopping wet elm rounds, so that made the choice clear to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.