Hornets Nest in Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old School

Burning Hunk
Jul 15, 2015
Georgia
This post is to caution anyone who is contemplating starting burning season without checking their system.

I decided today that even though I had cleaned my liners in the Spring just before the end of burning season, it wouldn't hurt to run a brush down them for good measure.

I am glad I did because on the liner servicing my insert hornets had built a nest starting just below the cap and going down roughly 12". It had the liner totally blocked. I did not have my phone with me to snap a picture but it was impressive. I am sure it would have caused me some problems in a few weeks had I not checked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: pen
This post is to caution anyone who is contemplating starting burning season without checking their system.

I decided today that even though I had cleaned my liners in the Spring just before the end of burning season, it wouldn't hurt to run a brush down them for good measure.

I am glad I did because on the liner servicing my insert hornets had built a nest starting just below the cap and going down roughly 12". It had the liner totally blocked. I did not have my phone with me to snap a picture but it was impressive. I am sure it would have caused me some problems in a few weeks had I not checked it.

How on earth did you remove it without being stung?

I removed it using the brush and brushing it down into the stove below. It immediately busted into many little pieces and fell. I didn't see any hornets, luckily. I guess they had already abandoned the nest.

Phew. Glad it worked out. That would have been ugly to have them madly swarming around the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.