Horse chestnut tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Anyone have one? Good eating? Thinking of planting this one I found in the garden.. uploadfromtaptalk1432404934290.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got one 5' tall. I'd plant that really fast or it will die.

I've got one 5' tall. I'd plant that really fast or it will die.
Just planted in a large Terra cotta planter until I can decide where to put it. Dies it produce nuts yet?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pellet_Pete
Dies it produce nuts yet?
Not expecting nuts for many years. I planted many nuts trees on our property to attract more wildlife. We get bushels of walnuts from trees planted 20 to 30 yrs. ago but they are for the wildlife too.

should get some nuts in less than 5 years - least that's how mine worked out

no as i get beaten to them by the local four footed inhabitants

Horse chestnut contains significant amounts of a poison called esculin and can cause death if eaten raw.
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1055-horse chestnut.aspx?activeingredientid=1055&activeingredientname=horse chestnut

Just reiterating this point, since it's an important one! Definitely not edible! Aside from being susceptible to anthracnose (a leaf & stem fungal disease) that makes them look like crap come late summer, at least here in the Northeast, they're not a bad landscape tree. Interesting texture & large clusters of flowers. Can't hurt to cultivate it - if you change your mind, you can turn it into firewood. That's what I've done with a "volunteer" black walnut that the squirrels planted for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.