Horse chestnut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmbDrvr253

Minister of Fire
Aug 4, 2015
Northeast PA
Anyone have experience with this? Came across some free stuff. Wonderin how itll do in the stove. Some seemed light and others seemed heavy. Split easily.

If it's the same as the chestnut we have in the UK then yeah it is really light and has similar characteristics to softwood. I've got some stacked for next year but not burned any yet. It provides a low/med heat.

All wood has about the same energy per weight as any other. A lighter wood simply means more loadings to get the same heat than a dense hard wood. Else, they all do fine in any stove.

http://woodheat.org/firewood.html

I would not go out of my way to get it. I dropped one on my property and burned it......burned a lot as campfire wood. Ok for shoulder season.....

Around the same as Silver maple and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.