horse shed for wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
I've been contemplating what shed to build or buy, when I finally find the time. Right now we're too busy with getting the basic mechanicals repaired on this house (plumbing, heating, well, windows, etc.) to make any move, so I'm stacking outdoors on pallets.

A proper wood shed should have a storage area for your splitting tools, I would think. You also want at least one completely open side. That got me thinking about horse sheds:

horse-shed.jpg

100_0599.jpg

Maybe not a bad option. Dirt floor is fine for setting pallets of wood, and the tack storage area is just about right for all my saws, mauls, sledges, and other gear.

Wood is much cheaper to store in there than a horses :)

Good idea; toolshed/woodshed & they look nice.
Install some bigger vents up around the eves for good air circulation on the wood side & you'd have a nice wood shed.

May make you want a horse though; LOL :)

The idea has merit, but I would like more air circulation (pretty easy fix if you're handy). And agree that storage space for tools is good, but judging from the photos, that space may be more than you need unless you have a splitter (or maybe you have lots of saws). You can always work off that basic design, and build your own if that's your thing.

You could also consider a metal CarportimagesCAZWDU3H.jpg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I like the basic horse shed configuration shown, but I think, as others have said, the air circulation issue would need to be rather aggressively addressed, and I agree that the tack storage area is larger than needed (at least it is in my case...I wouldn't devote any space to it at all). I don't store any splitting tools in my wood shed...just seasoned wood. I don't know what those pre-fab/kit horse sheds cost, but it seems to me that you could likely do better money-wise for firewood storage with a different (simpler) solution, even if you didn't build it yourself from scratch. My shed floor is raised off the ground with generous spacing between boards, and the siding boards are also spaced nicely. The prevailing wind comes from the back of the shed, and I can feel it blowing through if I'm out there. A bit of snow blows in when the conditions are right. It vents quite well. In any case, I don't put any firewood into that shed that isn't already good to burn. Rick

tarp.jpg

Reactions: PapaDave and ScotO
This is a great idea especially if your cutting area and stacks are away from the house, I would have to drag my splitter out 150 feet everytime I wanted to split and stack.

This is a great idea especially if your cutting area and stacks are away from the house, I would have to drag my splitter out 150 feet everytime I wanted to split and stack.

Specifically why I want a tack room. My splitting and storage area are at least 150 feet from the house, and 200 feet from the barn where I currently keep all my gear. I have to go thru a sometimes-wet low-land area on my way to and from the splitting area. No splitter yet, but I see one in my future.

I like the basic horse shed configuration shown, but I think, as others have said, the air circulation issue would need to be rather aggressively addressed, and I agree that the tack storage area is larger than needed (at least it is in my case...I wouldn't devote any space to it at all). I don't store any splitting tools in my wood shed...just seasoned wood. I don't know what those pre-fab/kit horse sheds cost, but it seems to me that you could likely do better money-wise for firewood storage with a different (simpler) solution, even if you didn't build it yourself from scratch. My shed floor is raised off the ground with generous spacing between boards, and the siding boards are also spaced nicely. The prevailing wind comes from the back of the shed, and I can feel it blowing through if I'm out there. A bit of snow blows in when the conditions are right. It vents quite well. In any case, I don't put any firewood into that shed that isn't already good to burn. Rick

View attachment 68669
That there is my favorite woodshed EVER........

I think, like others have stated, it is a nice idea for a woodshed. If I were to go the route of the horse shed, I would definately be making the back wall 'slatted' to allow air flow through the shed. Just my .02 cents. Someday I'll have one like fossil's. Now if I could only find the time........

I looked at those before I built my shed, way too expecieve for a woodshed for me, What do those cost I guess 4k for small 6k or more for the other, I would think you could come up with something that looks good and a whole lot cheaper.

I think, like others have stated, it is a nice idea for a woodshed. If I were to go the route of the horse shed, I would definately be making the back wall 'slatted' to allow air flow through the shed. Just my .02 cents. Someday I'll have one like fossil's. Now if I could only find the time........

Id probably make the back and side wall slatted, it would save on materials too.

Reactions: ScotO
This cost me $600.00 in materials and about 4 days of vacation. SDC10039.JPG

View attachment 68669

The gold standard when it comes to a woodshed.

Reactions: ScotO
Thats would be perfect with a closed in section to store splitter, axes and other materials.

I guess for 2 or 3 hundred I could add another bay for those things , but I keep all that in the toolshed outback, this holds enough dry wood for a real bad winter.

Reactions: PapaDave
I guess for 2 or 3 hundred I could add another bay for those things , but I keep all that in the toolshed outback, this holds enough dry wood for a real bad winter.

Funny that I hear about as many people claim, "I don't like to move/stack wood twice," as I hear talk about their wood sheds that hold only one year's worth of wood. Given most here claim seasoning their wood for more than one year, I'm not sure how you store only one year's worth of wood in the shed, and avoid moving it twice.

Sure would be nice to build a shed large enough to store everything I have stacked, so I never need to stage piles outside the shed prior to moving them indoors. Not sure that's feasible, but it's a thought...

I stack outside in single rows till dry and in my own sweet time I move wood to the shed for the upcoming winter, I could do it now the wood is ready, I have about 20 cords of wood and I am not going to build a shed to hold that much wood. Once you get ahead it is not that much trouble, heck I enjoy it.

My shed is 8' x 16' holds close to 5 cords , I have about 2 left in it from last winter (mild) I burn an average of 4 a season. I do not regret building it, as the tarps and covers were ugly and a real pain.

I would have to add 64 ' to my shed to do as sugested. An 80' woodshed.

Yeah I'm sitting on around 20 cord of wood here at the house, around 70' by 12' by 6' stack. Not gonna be about to build a shed for all of that, hell it would be the size of a barn!

Damned waste of a good run in shed, I'd say, but I'm fussy that way
48.gif

Those things are costly to transport, prebuilt. Unless they are close to you.

They do have venting options up top, so you could get a draft going. Even light & fan options (I've studied them
105.gif
)

New Horizons web site

http://www.horizonstructures.com/run-in-sheds.asp

John M has an awesome wood shed, which I personally covet
8.gif
...paging John, paging John .....

The prior owners of my home had horses on the property along with a small horse shed. I put pallets on the floor and screwed down some used plywood on top of the pallets to make a floor and turned it into my woodshed. it holds about 6.5 cords of split wood. I figured I might as well use what is already there.

I think the horse shed idea is about the best out there. I am going to build mine next week, and just plan on doing a 9'x18' three sided shelter with a gravel/palleted floor. I plan on leaving some 6" gaps below the eves to allow for airflow, plus the front will be totally open. I am hoping to hang a nice tarp over the front that I can close in bad weather....

The idea has merit, but I would like more air circulation (pretty easy fix if you're handy). And agree that storage space for tools is good, but judging from the photos, that space may be more than you need unless you have a splitter (or maybe you have lots of saws). You can always work off that basic design, and build your own if that's your thing.

Archie, it sounds like you don't have much wood on hand. It would not take long to fill one of those the size they are pictured.

Horse shed for wood? Does that mean you put the horse in the wood shed?

Reactions: PapaDave
Status
Not open for further replies.