Horse trailer as wood hauler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2013
Minnesota
Has anyone ever tried to use a horse trailer for hauling wood?

Here's my dilemma: Where I live, I'm having a heck of a time finding wood to scrounge, but I see lots of scrounging opportunities closer to the metro area (maybe 45 miles away). My f250 truck gets bad gas mileage (10 mpg) so it doesn't make a lot of financial sense to drive that far for wood, but I was thinking that if I had a trailer, then it might. But trailers are expensive and if I spend a grand or more on a trailer, I'd have to haul an awful lot of wood before it would pay for itself.

However, we have plans to get a horse in a few years and when we do, we'll end up getting a horse trailer too. So, I am wondering if it'd make sense to buy a horse trailer now so I can use it to haul wood.

Has anyone ever tried that? I am not sure if the side walls would be strong enough to hold wood, plus if I ever came across a tree service with logs they wanted to get rid of, they'd have a heck of a time loading them into a trailer since they'd have to be loaded from the back.

If it makes sense to you, and, most importantly your wife, then it make sense.==c I'm not a jockey and I don't play one on T.V. but I have hauled split firewood, rounds and 8 foot logs in my brother-in-law's horse trailer then hauled the horse just after unloading the wood. We hauled the stuff over some curvy, hilly roads, even dirt, roads, in Up-state New York with no problems. The logs were loaded, one at a time, by a Bobcat with forks on it. The guy scooted the logs right to the door, raised the front of the log and placed a few inches of it on the floor then went back to the other end and picked it up and pushed it into the trailer. only took him about a minute per log. This cat was gooood with a Bobcat, I believe if there was an attachment he could brush your teeth with that machine!

Has anyone ever tried to use a horse trailer for hauling wood?

Here's my dilemma: Where I live, I'm having a heck of a time finding wood to scrounge, but I see lots of scrounging opportunities closer to the metro area (maybe 45 miles away). My f250 truck gets bad gas mileage (10 mpg) so it doesn't make a lot of financial sense to drive that far for wood, but I was thinking that if I had a trailer, then it might. But trailers are expensive and if I spend a grand or more on a trailer, I'd have to haul an awful lot of wood before it would pay for itself.

However, we have plans to get a horse in a few years and when we do, we'll end up getting a horse trailer too. So, I am wondering if it'd make sense to buy a horse trailer now so I can use it to haul wood.

Has anyone ever tried that? I am not sure if the side walls would be strong enough to hold wood, plus if I ever came across a tree service with logs they wanted to get rid of, they'd have a heck of a time loading them into a trailer since they'd have to be loaded from the back.

Horse/livestock trailers are perfect work/utility trailers - they are over built, lockable, many have separate tack rooms (perfect for hauling tools). . .

I have hauled ~3 cord of green wood on a 16-foot bumper-mount, double-axle stock trailer with a 3/4 ton truck. It was a bit too heavy for the trailer i suspect, but pulled without problems. It is nice to not worry about securing round, etc since you have walls and a top. We just tossed most of the load rather than stack to keep from overloading as well.

I think a horse trailer would make a great wood hauler. Theyre usually pretty low too, so loading would be easy

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Only down side is that it would be a heavier trailer but one for double duty makes sense.

I have hauled ~3 cord of green wood on a 16-foot bumper-mount, double-axle stock trailer with a 3/4 ton truck. It was a bit too heavy for the trailer i suspect, but pulled without problems. It is nice to not worry about securing round, etc since you have walls and a top. We just tossed most of the load rather than stack to keep from overloading as well.

Wow, you realize that 3 cord of red oak green is 17,100#s.

I can't imagine that trailer is made for even close to that kind of weight.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/logweight.html

That calculator seems high compared to others I've used. Usually I see red oak coming in at 4500-5000# green

Still a heavy load, but I dont know what kind of trailer you were running

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
That calculator seems high compared to others I've used. Usually I see red oak coming in at 4500-5000# green

Still a heavy load, but I dont know what kind of trailer you were running

You are right, that calculator does seem high, even still, 13,500-15,000 is still way too much weight for the set up on a horse trailer.

Mixed species, ash, cherry, oak. Some were green, others were cut and dried some already. It was a bit overloaded (tires having puppies) but we did OK. It does have brakes but you can believe we nursed it on the way home!

I actually did it the other way around, we sold our horses and I kept the trailer. I've hauled wood and a lot of other stuff in it, it works great for that. It's a steel trailer so it's heavy but bullet proof. The downside of buying a horse trailer now is that they are much more expensive than a regular utility trailer.

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Too bad my Sister's horse trailer is with her horse in Hawaii -- that being said, I totally believe in repurposing things. It seems like a great idea and other's have said it works, so why not! Maybe you can get a used one on Craig's List or see if a local stable has one for sale.

I love the idea! Can stack it to the gills without worrying about securing the wood, low to the ground for easy loading of wood.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Since it sounds like this could work, I am going to give it a shot if I can find a good price on one!

The only drawback I see, is that most horse trailers could only be loaded from the back. As a fellow scrounger myself, I love the fact that when I pull my trailer beside of a pile, I can throw it right over the side.

But your case of needing a trailer that pulls double duty, I think it is a great idea.

BTW, I drive that same F250, and I agree. A bed full of firewood has to be pretty close to the house, or you are filling the truck up so much it's not worth getting the wood any more.

The only drawback I see, is that most horse trailers could only be loaded from the back. As a fellow scrounger myself, I love the fact that when I pull my trailer beside of a pile, I can throw it right over the side

I don't see this as much of a drawback. I load my truck from the back only - I'd be surprised if most people didn't.

I know lots of folks that put their trailer as close to the pile as they can get.....if that is a side, then so be it.

Of course, my trailer is 16 feet long. If I can pick it up, it is a lot easier to set it over the side of a low trailer than to take it all the way to the front.

Truck is a different story. Side of the truck bed is a wee bit tall to throw the big hunks over.

Reactions: firefighterjake
I know lots of folks that put their trailer as close to the pile as they can get.....if that is a side, then so be it.

Of course, my trailer is 16 feet long. If I can pick it up, it is a lot easier to set it over the side of a low trailer than to take it all the way to the front.

Truck is a different story. Side of the truck bed is a wee bit tall to throw the big hunks over.

Learned the bit about the side of the truck being a bit tall about a year ago ... put a nice dent in the side of the truck bed.

Reactions: smokedragon
Learned the bit about the side of the truck being a bit tall about a year ago ... put a nice dent in the side of the truck bed.

Just one.......I must learn slower than you ==c

Reactions: firefighterjake
I say yes...,, I can fit 1/3 cord in the back of my ram, how much can you put in the horse trailer? Will you then use your 250 and get an additional 1/3 cord?

Status
Not open for further replies.