I have often heard this as conventional wisdom, used to do that quite a bit myself. As I have thought about it, I question whether indeed this is the case. Short of cleaning your chimney with a brush, or perhaps using a stove applied chemical to alter the chemical structure of the creosote deposits, it would seem to me that the only other way to really reduce creosote deposits would be to burn them off. :snake: Nothing like a chimney fire to really reduce creosote! So my question is; does simply upping the flue temps another hundred or so degrees actually reduce creosote? I would think it would have to return it to gaseous form for that to happen and would fear that you would then be in danger of actually setting it on fire!