Hot coal !!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael6268

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Grafton NH/Upper Valley
Well I cant say enough about coal. Never got above 22 deg during the day yesterday, and got down to -5 deg last night and woke up this morning to a house that was a toasty 75 degrees! And the best part about it was from 6am the previous day to 6am this morning i burned only a little more than 1/2 a bag of coal. For years I struggled with a pellet stove burning 2 bags a day when it was cold like this only to wake up to a cold house. I really dont know why more people arent aware of the ease, cleanliness and warmth of coal. Coal Rules!!

Were i live there are tons of oak trees , hard to get coal so i guess it was a no brainer to burn wood . Coal just seems harder to get to buy at least around here , also the cost of coal VS FREE OAK WOOD . Now if somebody had to buy both wood or coal and was easy to get both i could see where coal would be a plus . It would be nice to not need to tend the fire as much with wood VS coal . I guess i will just have to keep burning my free oak . ......Keep warm ...

yes, it's really wonderful isn't it?

The only downfall to coal is that you can't pick it up free from the town dump, or from friends.

But you're a cheater, because that's an automatic stove :p

Just kidding man, welcome to the cult

Michael6268 said:
I really dont know why more people arent aware of the ease, cleanliness and warmth of coal. Coal Rules!!

When we moved into our current home five years ago, there was a coal stove installed in the finished basement. Used it a couple times, but got very frustrated trying to get the coal lit, and keeping it lit once it was going for a while. It did get extremely hot - much more so than my wood stove. But I found the coal difficult to work with and got tired of going out to buy bags of it. (Yeah, I know, I probably could have set up a bin and gotten deliveries...)

And - this is a lame reason, I know - it was a really ugly stove. Sold it, replaced it with a Jotul wood stove.

A half a bag of pea coal?? Darn, thats good even in your stoker...thats pretty good! I burn a little over a bag of nut in my Hitzer insert and have been thinking about getting a Keystoker 90,000 btu model and putting it in the basement. I like the idea of no shaking of the grates! What is your setup? Basement? Did you route it into your duct work?

It burns rice coal. I think pea coal would be too big. Mine is in a finished basement and I got the stove with the optional 6"duct on the top and ran some ductwork along the main beam in the basement and have 4 outlets (vents) off that main duct to the upstairs. Worked out great and with a 110 lb hopper I dont even have to look at that thing for days. (of course I do look at it cause I love watching those dancing flames)

"But you’re a cheater, because that’s an automatic stove" :p

Hahaha Yes the wonders of modern technology! :) Even have a battery backup too.

I priced a 90,000 BTU model out at about $3200. Lead time was spring...I have some time to ponder...

Status
Not open for further replies.