1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael6268

Michael6268 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Grafton NH/Upper Valley
    Well I cant say enough about coal. Never got above 22 deg during the day yesterday, and got down to -5 deg last night and woke up this morning to a house that was a toasty 75 degrees! And the best part about it was from 6am the previous day to 6am this morning i burned only a little more than 1/2 a bag of coal. For years I struggled with a pellet stove burning 2 bags a day when it was cold like this only to wake up to a cold house. I really dont know why more people arent aware of the ease, cleanliness and warmth of coal. Coal Rules!!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Were i live there are tons of oak trees , hard to get coal so i guess it was a no brainer to burn wood . Coal just seems harder to get to buy at least around here , also the cost of coal VS FREE OAK WOOD . Now if somebody had to buy both wood or coal and was easy to get both i could see where coal would be a plus . It would be nice to not need to tend the fire as much with wood VS coal . I guess i will just have to keep burning my free oak . ......Keep warm ...
  3. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    yes, it's really wonderful isn't it?

The only downfall to coal is that you can't pick it up free from the town dump, or from friends.

But you're a cheater, because that's an automatic stove :p

Just kidding man, welcome to the cult
  4. pmac

pmac Member

Loc:
    Eastern PA

When we moved into our current home five years ago, there was a coal stove installed in the finished basement. Used it a couple times, but got very frustrated trying to get the coal lit, and keeping it lit once it was going for a while. It did get extremely hot - much more so than my wood stove. But I found the coal difficult to work with and got tired of going out to buy bags of it. (Yeah, I know, I probably could have set up a bin and gotten deliveries...)

And - this is a lame reason, I know - it was a really ugly stove. Sold it, replaced it with a Jotul wood stove.
  5. davemich

davemich New Member

Loc:
    St Joseph, Mi.
    A half a bag of pea coal?? Darn, thats good even in your stoker...thats pretty good! I burn a little over a bag of nut in my Hitzer insert and have been thinking about getting a Keystoker 90,000 btu model and putting it in the basement. I like the idea of no shaking of the grates! What is your setup? Basement? Did you route it into your duct work?
  6. Michael6268

Loc:
    Grafton NH/Upper Valley
    It burns rice coal. I think pea coal would be too big. Mine is in a finished basement and I got the stove with the optional 6"duct on the top and ran some ductwork along the main beam in the basement and have 4 outlets (vents) off that main duct to the upstairs. Worked out great and with a 110 lb hopper I dont even have to look at that thing for days. (of course I do look at it cause I love watching those dancing flames)
  7. Michael6268

Loc:
    Grafton NH/Upper Valley
    "But you’re a cheater, because that’s an automatic stove" :p

Hahaha Yes the wonders of modern technology! :) Even have a battery backup too.
  8. davemich

davemich New Member

Loc:
    St Joseph, Mi.
    I priced a 90,000 BTU model out at about $3200. Lead time was spring...I have some time to ponder...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.