Hot day for wood cutting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StihlKicking

Feeling the Heat
Jan 12, 2016
Hatchie Bottom, MS
Took down this problem red oak today, I hated to do it in 95 degree weather but when it's dry and you have help you best make hay. I got three 12 foot cuts to mill and cut the rest up for fire wood, can't let red oak go to waste!
2974fcf58d9600c8f2204cf1e41afc6b.jpgc2679dd501decc83622634ebeeaeb210.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is warm! Add in the humidity and it's brutal. It was in the 90's here last weekend, but it has cooled back down to the low 60's for the high and there is very little humidity. I picked up 14 big ponderosa pine rounds yesterday and some smaller stuff off craigslist. I will split those small for a friend who will need it this winter. Just quartered those with a maul and wedges for the splitter tonight - good workout!

Tomorrow I am hoping to take down a dead 60' fir and two live firs that are about a little smaller in a spot I am going to level. Will CSS the dead one for burning this year (I think I already have more than enough on the racks) and skid the other two out for processing later. Those will go on the racks for next year after they are split. I have plenty of cutting in my future in the area we want to level early this winter. Should have all of next years wood (and maybe the year after) CSS by the time the old man winter comes.

Wish we had oak out here!

Nothing better than processing wood when it is warm and dry, it is just easier on everything. If you start to get worn out you can always stop or take breaks. Last few weekends I've been cutting splitting stacking locust for the coming years. It just seems to go easier when it's warmer out, but I also like the heat. Stay hydrated, have fun!

Reactions: Hickorynut
You are tougher than I am.

I have a friend who is an excavator. He just cleared a bunch of land and brought me 3/4 of a cord of wood yesterday. It seemed like it took forever to finish splitting and then stack it. 96 degrees and sunny. By the time I was done, I was cooked. Sometimes I have to remind myself why I make sure all my wood is split and stacked before April.

Any time below 50 degrees, I can work forever. Especially when it gets between 20 and 40.

I don't mind working in the heat if it is not too humid. I have had back issues off and on and the back does way better in the heat than when it is cold. Ticks and mosquitoes aren't an excuse, put repellent spray on. I split with a maul in the shade this afternoon and it was 90+. Wasn't bad at all.

Cutting wood today...yeah, cutting wood in the heat is not optimal. I am more of a fan of temps in the 60's & 70's.
Wood cutting clothes are in the washer in a heavy duty wash...ick.

I don't mind working in the heat if it is not too humid. I have had back issues off and on and the back does way better in the heat than when it is cold. Ticks and mosquitoes aren't an excuse, put repellent spray on. I split with a maul in the shade this afternoon and it was 90+. Wasn't bad at all.
I dont know what its like where you are but down here you cant get away from the humidity this time of year. Its the air you can wear until September. I have been using Repel Tick Defense this summer when i get in the woods. It's active ingredient is Picaridin instead of Deet. I like it because it dosent feel as heavy on your skin and it is odorless. So far i haven't got a single tick while using it.

Holy smokes I started early this morning taking down a white poplar growing over my dads rent house. Heat index of 110 today. I quit at 1:00 pm. Heat doesn't usually stop me but it did today. I got about half of it might as well save the rest for a cooler day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You got me beat! I would hesitate to get it on a hot day. I applaud your work ethic! Nice work.

Status
Not open for further replies.