Hot embers direct vent/sparkscreen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmartinj

Aug 11, 2007
Hello,
I recently had a Quadra Fire Castile pellet stove installed via a horizontal direct vent by a certified Quad dealer. When the stove is running it shoots hot glowing embers from the exhaust. I spoke with the installer about the problem, he said it was normal and good because the ash will not stay in the piping. Is this true? I have read another post about Castile stoves and it apparently is a common thing with the stove/direct vent. Does anybody know of a way to stop the hot embers from being exhausted from this stove without having to go up and out with the piping? I did some research online and found this spark screen, has anyone used this screen and/or know any info on this.

See page 5
http://www.selkirkinc.com/pdfs/chim/DT-Pellet-Cat.pdf

Thanks,
Jon-

Wow, that can't be a good thing! I think the arrestor screen is required, at least in certain geographic areas prone to wildfires? Sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in soon. I certainly wouldn't call sparks shooting out of the vent "normal".

First if the sparks wouldn't fit through that screen..... Than the fly ash won't either, which = plugged spark arrestor
2nd if it is a true straight out then the minimum heights and clearance to combustibles and vegetation should have been followed. This at least will give the spark a chance to go out before igniting something like dry leaves. This does not mean that it won't happen though..
Note crapier pellets or ones with alot of dust (fines) will tend to throw more sparks, especially when direct venting..
Best case is to have some vertical rise to the pipe somewhere to help cool (or snuff) the sparks down before discharge.

Status
Not open for further replies.