hot fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be helpful to know what kind of stove you have. Some members may have that stove and be able to give you specific advise.

Let's NOT assume the wood is good. Let us know for sure. How long since it was cut and split? What kind of wood is it? Most wood needs to be split and stacked up to a year in sun and wind get it below 20% moisture content, which is ideal for burning. Some kinds of wood, particularly Oak and Hickory, among others can take two or three years to properly dry, depending on where and how it is stacked.
However, if you're certain your wood is good and dry and your stove is not getting hot enough, perhaps it's not getting enough air during the burn. Do you have a stove top thermometer? Use whatever air control devices, dampers etc to get more air to the fire. Even leaving the front (or side) loading door open a crack will help.

Is your stove, chimney/flue and cap clean?

If you've got good fuel, the only thing left is good air/draft.

I am a newbie too, but i believe folks would want to know what kind of stove you have, chimney size, and what kind of wood you are burning, is it seasoned etc...

I've been burning for several years but I feel as though my stove should be burning hotter. Assuming my wood is not the problem, what can I do ? Any advice ?

Need more information.

I am new to being a woodstove owner but have been around them for years.

I notice that my new Avalon Olympic burns much hotter and longer when the ashes are cleaned out only leaving a very light bed of ashes. It maintains its heat more evenly after I clean the ashes. Granted I had left about 5 days worth of ashes burning 24/7 but was surprised. I am cleaning out daily now and notice a difference.

maybe its all in my head after a few cocktails.:)

My insert performs much better after being cleaned out. I'm an evening burner and have been cleaning it out every two days or so with marked improvement. I need to create some sort of metal screen filter that fits on my pale so I can save more coals.

I am new to being a woodstove owner but have been around them for years.

I notice that my new Avalon Olympic burns much hotter and longer when the ashes are cleaned out only leaving a very light bed of ashes. It maintains its heat more evenly after I clean the ashes. Granted I had left about 5 days worth of ashes burning 24/7 but was surprised. I am cleaning out daily now and notice a difference.

maybe its all in my head after a few cocktails.:)

How long has your wood been split and stacked? What species of wood?

Same thing I asked several replies ago....

I know. I read it.. ;)

But he replied and didnt answer. :(

Sometimes less is more.

Lots of long posts dont get read here. Especially by the Newbs.

Just makin sure he seen it.. :)

More information is needed.

Dontcha just hate when someone asks for help and then just disappears and doesn't follow up with requested information so we can help them?
Why do they ask in the first place?

Reactions: DexterDay
What temps does the stove normally run at?

Status
Not open for further replies.