HOT HOT HOT!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
Came home to find smoldering logs in the firebox. My wife forgot to pull the coals forward when reloading ( more my fault than hers, guess I did not review that with her). Anyhow, rearranged some things, pulled the coals forward and got her going again. Came upstairs and jumped on here to see how everyone was doing and later realized I was forgetting something........

Well, when I got to the basement, the thermometer was reading 600 which in magnetic stovetop language means 700 plus here. Shut down the air and she seemed to settle in at a reasonable temp. As is settled though, I listened to every ting, bing and blang the stove made as it cooled. All seems well, but certainly was upset with myself.

Happens to me more times than I care to admit. Lately I have been setting a timer to remind me to check the stove every 10 minutes or so after a reload until I get her settled in.

Remi - glad you caught it in time - sounds like it didn't get too hot, but I bet it was getting ready to get real hot, real quick! Cheers, Jacques

The magnetic readings are a little delayed I think So you might have slightly hotter than you think. Nevertheless it seemed like you were well under critical mass.

trailrated said:
Happens to me more times than I care to admit. Lately I have been setting a timer to remind me to check the stove every 10 minutes or so after a reload until I get her settled in.

I do the exact same thing. While I've not had a runaway, the Oslo has met 800 a time or two in the past.

Rem, Do you us a probe thermometer in your flue?...I've got a Condar probe about 20" up the double wall pipe and use it more than the stove top thermometer...when it gets about 900 F I cut the primary back to half and then a few minutes later to almost closed and the secondaries take off...the flue temp drops to 700 F or so and the stove top goes to about 500 F+ and cruises...after an hour everything starts to equalize and stove top and flue temps get closer together around 400F ...seems to work great...that's with about a 2/3 load...

Maybe I am getting old and crusty, but I don't find 700F even a wee bit scary. Yes, I take action to limit any climb north of that, but 650-700 is when I slam things down for the long haul.

Not just you, I was wondering what all the fuss was about and what does magnetic stovetop language mean?

BeGreen said:
Not just you, I was wondering what all the fuss was about and what does magnetic stovetop language mean?

++++++------++++++++----+++------------++++++----------------+++++------------ = magnetic stovetop language ;)

firefighterjake said:
BeGreen said:

++++++------++++++++----+++------------++++++----------------+++++------------ = magnetic stovetop language ;)

Can't be - that would flip it heads to tails. I think it is more like:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jags said:
firefighterjake said:
BeGreen said:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry . . . magnetic stovetop is my second language . . . I don't write it out very well, but I do a pretty good job of speaking it. ;)

hemlock said:
700 is just another day for the Super 27....

Yup, Super 27 will throw 700 stove top no problem at all. I'm usually more like 650 but I don't worry about the stove temp as much as I watch out for the stove pipe temps.

My stove is also in the basement so to cut out a 100 trips up and down the stairs a day I setup a wireless camera looking at the stove so I can keep an eye on the flue temps on my phone or laptop from anywhere in the house. It's nice to sit on the couch in the living room and know exactly what the stove is doing without having to go up and down the stairs all the time.

firefighterjake said:
Jags said:
firefighterjake said:
BeGreen said:

Sorry . . . magnetic stovetop is my second language . . . I don't write it out very well, but I do a pretty good job of speaking it. ;)

Don't worry about it, this is a pretty polarized field of linguistics from what I hear.

albertj03 said:
hemlock said:
700 is just another day for the Super 27....

Yup, Super 27 will throw 700 stove top no problem at all. I'm usually more like 650 but I don't worry about the stove temp as much as I watch out for the stove pipe temps.

My stove is also in the basement so to cut out a 100 trips up and down the stairs a day I setup a wireless camera looking at the stove so I can keep an eye on the flue temps on my phone or laptop from anywhere in the house. It's nice to sit on the couch in the living room and know exactly what the stove is doing without having to go up and down the stairs all the time.

Now THAT is an idea worth investigating.

It wasn't he stove top temp that bothered me, it was my forgetfulness. Used to have the old vigilant up there plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.