Hot pellets during shoulder season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RidgeRunner56

Sep 23, 2011
Sandy Ridge, Pa
My part of Pa doesnt carry all the various brands mentioned in many of the posts. Testing 4 different brands this year, I did find one brand that burns hotter, at least for me. My question, are they a good pellet to burn even during shoulder season, or switch to a lower temp pellet for the warmer months. Price is the same, but the lower temp pellets definately burn much cleaner.

I have a similar situation here as you with selections and prices. I try to burn the same thing all the way through but only because it's both the hottest AND has the least amount of ash. My advice is to dollarize it for yourself. If it's important that you spend less time cleaning when you don't need as much heat then buy the lower heat/less ash pellet. I think for everybody, it's all about the $$$$.

Yep... If you can get a Hot pellet for a cheaper price? Then why burn crap??

I would burn the hottest and cleanest pellet possible all the time. If the price was right.

Buy burn what you can afford and what your stove likes. If it happens to be a hot pellet, then go with it.

DexterDay said:
Yep... If you can get a Hot pellet for a cheaper price? Then why burn crap??

I would burn the hottest and cleanest pellet possible all the time. If the price was right.

Exactly my feeling. Some people are into pellets to get the best value possible. Me, I want the heat and general savings over oil. If I can keep ash somewhat low and scraping easy, that's more important to me than an extra $30 per ton.

Funny thing.... over the past 2 weeks or so I had in my head that I'm using my "good' pellets just to take the chill out of the air, maybe 6-8 hours/day instead of using what I consider "shoulder" pellets.
Well, back in like Aug. last year I bought 2 tons of Presto's (my "good" pellets) and 1 ton of stove chow, (my "shoulder" pellet),, but I paid the same for all of them $528 picked up at Lowes. Also, I have bough about 25 bags of assorted brands to try out, none were really as good as the Prestos.
And my 1 other ton of Prestos and the 1 ton of Stove Chow are stored in my buddies warehouse about 10 miles away,,,,,, sooooo I'm gonna finish the season with the Prestos and maybe pick up another 2 ton of them next fall,,,,, if the price is right.

Did what I just typed have ANY relevance to the topic????? oh well,, at least I upped my post number!!!!!

John

Status
Not open for further replies.