Hot Rocks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinG

Aug 10, 2010
Lancaster County, PA
We have friends who have a few smooth round stones they sit under their stove to absorb heat. When they come inside from working in the cold, they grab one and hold it in their hands to warm up. The stones are almost uncomfortably hot and hold their heat for a long time.

I found some massage rocks here: http://www.rubrocks.com/classic-massagestone-sets/intro-massagestone-set.html

Anyone tried using something like this for hand or bed warmers?

My wife bought something similar and she uses them to warm her side of the bed. She has like four of them and also uses them to warm her feet. Weird.

The bricks around my fireplace are hot rocks enough for me! The bricks inside and closest to the opening get to hot to touch for more tna a couple seconds, but alittle ways from them the hearth is nice and warm, I do enjoy putting my hands on them after coming in from the cold.

When I was a kid my grand mother use to take old cast iron iron and put it on the wood stove to get it hot,than rap it in a paper bag and put it in our beds to warm them and to rest our feet on ....it worked great

Mick-Fish said:
When I was a kid my grand mother use to take old cast iron iron and put it on the wood stove to get it hot,than rap it in a paper bag and put it in our beds to warm them and to rest our feet on ....it worked great

Sing along with me........... "Memories, light the corners of my mind....."

100_0022ab.jpg

Shari said:
Sing along with me........... "Memories, like the corner of my mind....."

"light the corners of my mind."

Sorry, just another of my OCD symptoms. :)

FWIW, it's also "Blinded by the light, revved up like a Deuce, another runner in the night." :)

RenovationGeorge said:
Shari said:

FWIW, it's also "Blinded by the light, revved up like a Deuce, another runner in the night." :)

Sorry... I'll correct my post - blame it on doing all my Christmas shopping yesterday & today! :)

Shari said:
RenovationGeorge said:
Shari said:

Sorry... I'll correct my post - blame it on doing all my Christmas shopping yesterday & today! :)

Why bother? I like the image of a memory liking the corner of your mind. :)

Some people thought Jimi Hendrix was gay, because he sang "'scuse me, while I kiss this guy!" :lol:

KevinG said:
We have friends who have a few smooth round stones they sit under their stove to absorb heat. When they come inside from working in the cold, they grab one and hold it in their hands to warm up. The stones are almost uncomfortably hot and hold their heat for a long time.

I found some massage rocks here: http://www.rubrocks.com/classic-massagestone-sets/intro-massagestone-set.html

Anyone tried using something like this for hand or bed warmers?

When I was a little boy my father's car was a model A Ford. To help stay warm we had a big horsehide blanket and under that we put a soapstone block. It worked to keep the feet from freezing. We used those blocks to heat our beds too. I think the soapstone holds the heat a little longer. This is what we use now:

Soapstone blocks

My wife and I cut wood this week 3 different times. Before heading to the woods we put a pair of her gloves and a pair of my gloves with the soapstone blocks and wrapped them in old towels. When the fingers got cold or the gloves got wet, we'd simply change gloves. When the second pair petered out, we headed to the house. If I am alone, many times I will take 2 extra pair of gloves.

We also use these as boot driers or even if we've been working by the house, if the gloves get wet, we stick a block in each glove and then also put it under the stove.

When I am plowing snow I will change gloves every so often then too. It is really great when you have cold fingers to stick your hands in warm gloves.

Caution on the stoves: Don't get stones from a creek bed or lake shore. They might explode when you get them hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.