hot sides on pellet stove. (Whitfield)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eponine

Oct 29, 2007
indiana
We recently purchased a pellet stove from our neighbors and LOVE it so far. After oiling and cleaning the stove last week I noticed the right side and right top of the stove is extremly hot. I am scared to leave the stove running until I get this figured out. Any suggestions?

what model is it??? put it in the title and more people could respond.
But maybe there is a heat exchanger cover or flame guide that is missing or loose.

It is a Whitfield. It burned for a few weeks just fine and only noticed it was hot after I cleaned and oiled it. I am very puzzled!

Do you know what model? More info about your setup? Where are you venting it....etc...

Gaskets are all back into place?

Fan motors are working?

How dirty was it? My pellet stove the sides and top do get hot and after a cleaning it may be transfering heat better.

Just curious what did you oil?

Not sure about the exact model number. It is free standing. It was not very dirty. I removed all dust and cobwebs from inside and oiled the ports in fan. The rest of the stove is still cool to the touch. It is burning fine so I would think the gasket wouldn't be the cause? I am really puzzled!
It vents horizontally out the back wall.

There are 2 oil ports on each side of the stove. I can see the fan running from the air vents in the side of the stove. the stove is cool down where the fan is. the hot areas are the right side of the lid and top of the right side all the way to the back of the stove. It is so hot you can barely touch it.

Here is a pic.

Attachments

• S8d67o1h.jpg
    S8d67o1h.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 362
Looks like this is the manual for your stove. Going by the picture you posted anyways.....

http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com/resources/manual/775097M%20E-%20Adv%20Optima%202&3;(II%20&%20CO).pdf

I think ya better wait for one of the more advanced guys to get on here. Hope this helps!

Thanks for trying. I do have the manual. I looked in it for anything that talked about my problem but haven't find anything.

I have the Model: "Advantage" it is a older one. I am not using it this season because the gear box for the little auger motor shattered on the inside. But to partialy answer your question, mine acted in the same manner. Consult with a qualifield Whitfield Tech if you can. Dealers in my area don't even carry Whitfield anymore.

That's a Whitfield Quest. Can't say for sure what would cause it to be unusally warm in those areas though. I think that the combustion gasses take the path your saying is hot. I would clean everything out also check the owners manual and compare it to what you have there. Are you missing any insulation anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.