Hot Sunday not so Funday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaRama

Apr 18, 2015
Colorado
It wasn't fun but very productive. You folks inspired me to process my firewood myself so I talked my brother out of a sick Black Cherry and an old friend of mine out of a huge live Hickory and a dead-standing Red Oak.

After I got the rounds gathered up and into one spot, this weekend i rented a splitter and went to work. I figured if I don't get the Cherry split and drying now it won't be dry enough. Some hope for burning the Red Oak this winter it split easily.

Ever split any green Hickory? :eek: What a fight with the string. Not much hope burning it this winter.

I split everything 3", 4" at the most as i have a small stove.

Plan on storing on pallets in full sun.

Do you folks think the Hickory will dry quicker without top cover? Mid-90's for at least two months.

One pic is with only the cherry tree split, the other is the full effort.

woodpile.jpg woodpile2.jpg

Reactions: D8Chumley
Nice work. I have an Englander 13 also, so I split everything also...takes more time, but I just worry about the smaller stove being able to burn the rounds if they are too big. Just finished the stove install this spring so this will be my first winter.

Good job!! Have to say that your use of a fan is brilliant. I finished splitting and stacking a week or so ago and right now wish I had thought of a fan....next time!!!:)

Nice!! Black Cherry, Hickory and Oak. That is living. But mid -90's for two months?? Uff Da! We hit 94 in Minnesota on Saturday and I thought it was the end of the world. I will take -10 in January any day. Besides, that is the best temp to split Oak.

Hickory seasons one year after split. Green hickory splits nicely for me. Only time I notice the strings is when I was splitting by axe my first year.

Green hickory splits nicely for me.

We have eight varieties here. Two are listed as elastic, tough, and close grained. I think this is Mockernut. I had to use a hatchet on some of it to get the splits separated. I reckon it all depends on variety and moisture content.

. I have an Englander 13 also, so I split everything also.

The north south air path doesn't bode well for long splits. My experimentation found that north-south 9" length splits leaned on an east-west back log burned well. The wood wasn't as dry as it needed to be.

It turned out to be 1.5 cords. Foreground is Cherry, then Oak, Cherry, and the double stack is Hickory on the bottom topped off with Cherry and Oak. Rookie wood piles. :p

0710161847.jpg

Reactions: 7acres and Lakeside
Status
Not open for further replies.