Hot Top or Cool Cucumber-Osburn 2300 & 2400?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pug

Jan 11, 2016
Boise, Idaho
Ok all you Osburn 2,300 & 2400 owners out there, get your thermometers out. I need to know badly how hot the top of your stoves get for cooking ability. During a normal med to hot fire with secondary's going ( I presume) what do your thermometers read if set directly on the top of the stove?

I have heard the 2400 has some kind of a ceramic blanket (or something) that lays directly above the secondary burners to direct more heat back into the stove where I believe the 2300 doesn't have this feature.
I also read the 2300 comes with a fan and a diversion baffle to help warm the chimney up.

Please give me your thoughts and thermometer readings so I can decide between these two stoves.
Thanks--Pug

My 2300 reaches 650-700 during a hard burn (IR Thermometer). It gives off one pile of heat!!

I like the bypass on the 2300. It helps reduce smoke spillage during reloads. It has a deep firebox which I like as well. Great heater for my climate/house!!

Andrew

Ok all you Osburn 2,300 & 2400 owners out there, get your thermometers out. I need to know badly how hot the top of your stoves get for cooking ability. During a normal med to hot fire with secondary's going ( I presume) what do your thermometers read if set directly on the top of the stove?

I have heard the 2400 has some kind of a ceramic blanket (or something) that lays directly above the secondary burners to direct more heat back into the stove where I believe the 2300 doesn't have this feature.
I also read the 2300 comes with a fan and a diversion baffle to help warm the chimney up.

Please give me your thoughts and thermometer readings so I can decide between these two stoves.
Thanks--Pug

2400 burner here.. Its does have a ceramic blanket on top of the baffle boards.. Most burns the stove top peaks around 700-750 just in front of the flue and cooling off to around 500 +/- at the sides

2400 burner here.. Its does have a ceramic blanket on top of the baffle boards.. Most burns the stove top peaks around 700-750 just in front of the flue and cooling off to around 500 +/- at the sides

This is my exact experience with the 2400. My IR maxes at 615, and when its in the blow torch secondary stage, the whole top says "overheat" except for the sides and very front and center, which are in the high 500s. I'm assuming my flue collar is well over 700, and maybe I don't even want to know : P

Thank You, Gracious, Besten Dank, Molte grazie

For the past few weeks I have been driving a lot of you nuts probably. I asked a lot of questions and got them all answered. I asked for opinions on numerous different wood stoves and got them. I found stuff out about the quality, service, where they are built etc. Some of the answers really surprised me. Like I didn't know some of the stoves are being built in China using inferior material and poor workmanship even though the marketing makes them sound like they are built in the US or in Canada. Some even had US names or used to be built in the US or Canada but not anymore. Tricky little buggers!

I asked about how well different stoves heated and if they had other problems. Learned a lot there. I researched, I believe, every stove manufacture in the world and built a large spread sheet so I could compare apples and apples. You taught me how many BTUs I needed for my large home, the difference between steel and cast iron heating, catalytic vs non cat stoves, EPA regulations, insurance requirements, etc. etc.

I asked about cooking on wood stoves and found a person could cook basically on any of them. You may have to do the heavy duty cooking inside the stove but cooking is certainly possible. I asked about temperatures that different stoves were heating to on top of the stove. I received answers from you folks on that too. I tested the top of my electric stove and found my low setting was running about 175 degrees, the medium about 500 degrees and the high setting about 880 degrees. I was cooking some eggs and ham yesterday on medium at 500 degrees. From what you folks told me about how hot your stoves were getting on different settings, well it should not be a problem. You may have to crank the old girl up a little for cooking but it should work ok.

From all of that I figured out what I needed and felt I could then half way intelligently pick out a stove. I have had three different wood stoves and a pellet stove in the past in different homes. There are a lot of good stoves out there and we all have different needs. I pondered over a half dozen stoves very seriously but considering my needs for heating and cooking, placement in my house (basement) and budget I have finally come to a conclusion of what will work for my needs. I was about to drive the poor wife totally wacko so I had to get this quest over with. I ordered a new Osburn 2400 yesterday. Oh another thing I found out is dealers are basically told what the price they quote for their stove is pretty much non negotiable. I checked with several dealers and yip they all quoted the same price to me. Probably some out there that aren't regulated as much.

Today I went and picked out my wall and floor tile and hauled it home. Nothing is cheap anymore. I pulled the carpet up downstairs and measured out the minimum code requirements from the walls etc. I marked up on the floor my plan on how I want to lay my tile. Tomorrow I start laying the coppery glass tile on the back walls and then move on to the floor laying the reddish brown natural slate. I am adding a little extra on the floor outline around the edges. In a few days I should be receiving the stove and will be able to set it on the hearth to get the proper measurements for my stove to wall black pipe. Anyone want to come help me drill an eight inch hole through 10 inches of concrete basement wall? After that I get to crawl up on the roof and get my proper measurements for the outside pipe and get it all installed. Maybe I should just hire it all done but I wouldn't enjoy setting in front of it next winter nearly as much.

Again I would like to thank you all for your help. I am pooped so off to bed I go!

Pug

Reactions: Swedishchef
Status
Not open for further replies.